Difference between these two performers, one better?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
Does anyone know what the differences are between the latest version of the performer vs. one like the one attached and listed in the trader section of this forum, attached? Is this older generation better and if so, why? One member said something about ditching his 05 performer for this one. I'm looking for a used but late model performer but seeing this post made me wonder if new was really better.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?41654-DELETED-Red-Performer-in-Southern-California

the biggest issue is that the older ones had ss tables rather than the cheap plastic ones. plus you can sometimes find a red one !

the biggest issue is that the older ones had ss tables rather than the cheap plastic ones. plus you can sometimes find a red one !

Oh, ok. The new ones look really nice and when i see a picture of the older ones w/ the SS, they just look "so so", a little dates. My platnium has the plastic table and it has been fine for 12 yrs, though i realize ss is considered a premium to plastic

The stainless steel table looks like a higher quality item than the plastic to my eyes.
I am still looking for one of the early ss style Performer.

In the perfect world you could have the stainless steel table with the newer Tough N Go igniter. Unfortunately, the world isn't perfect. Pick your poison so to speak. Nice table and chase down refilling the old bottles or plastic table and find propane bottles anywhere.

That refillable 5# tank will last all year or longer. Get it refilled at any hardware store for less than 2 of the disposable bottles. Also the frame of the old style Performer is much more sturdy.

The big difference that no one has mentioned is that the older stainless table swings up to access the storage area. The plastic table is stationary and the charcoal bin swings out the side. So if you have something sitting on the table and want to get something in the storage bin, the newer model is more convenient.

I like the disposable propane tanks on the newer model too. Since they are cheap and plentiful, I can swap them out quickly when I run out of gas. I refill them from my 20# tank to get bulk pricing on the propane and avoid the "use it once and throw it away" wastefulness. They do still have to be tossed eventually, though.

DISCLAIMER: IT IS ILLEGAL to refill those disposable tanks AND THEN TRAVEL WITH THEM ON HIGHWAYS. There's nothing illegal about refilling them and using them per se... the issue comes in with D.O.T. regulations concerning transport on public highways. The D.O.T. just doesn't want to take any risks with compressed flammable gases.

Having said that, you can buy an adapter like this one: disposable propane tank refill adapter and refill your disposables from your bulk 20# tanks. You will only fill the small tank maybe 1/2 full if both vessels are at ambient temperature. For my purposes, that's fine. There are ways to get a lot more propane into the little tank (basically get the receiving tank really cold and leave the giving tank warm), but I've had some of mine actually bulge out on the sides on hot days after doing that so I think it's too dangerous. Now I just fill 'em half way and call it a day.

Back