Did my first butt!

Deb L.

TVWBB Member
Did ribs the first cook, and they turned out perfect. Was a little nervous with such a big piece of meat, but went for the butt. About a 6 pounder. Sorry to say, it was deboned, so I tied it up good with butchers string.

Did the Minion Method. Am so impressed with the fact I never had to add any more Kingsford to it! I did cheat, and added a couple small chunks of Hickory. I like smoke.

I slathered the butt with cheapo mustard, and made my own rub. I put that on it, and wrapped it up in saran wrap for the night. All night with mustard did not make it bitter, or mustardy at all.

I started it the next morning, and the temps did good, and I used water in the pan, which I added some twice. I even put a small deer roast, wrapped in foil, next to it, for about 4 hours. It came out great too. Left two small openings in foil, to let a bit of smoke in. I just put a little olive oil, garlic, salt, and celery seeds on that.

Pulled it last night, and will be eating it today. It is great. Nice smokey flavor, not too bitey, and the smoke ring was gorgeous. I used a vinegar and apple juice mop, with some rub in it. I only mopped three times. Between the WSM and the Minion method, it really was easy. Next time, I'm going for the overnighter method!

My next cook will most likely be a chicken, just because I got a big one on sale yesterday, it's in the freezer waiting for a smoke.

This is such a great forum, it has become my late night reading of choice! And everyone's tips have helped out so much. Thanks for all the info.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Way to go Debra. You'll enjoy the overnight cooks-sometimes it hard to sleep thru but the MM is so effective you soon be sleeping all night long...

I am going to try the MM for an overnight butt roast soon. I am a bit nervous, as I only have one smoke under my belt...(ribs, which turned out delicious)and I noticed I had to constantly adjust the vents to keep temps right. May have something to do with the fact that I went standard method instead of MM.

Makes me a bit nervous for an all-nighter.

Chad --

Good is good, bad is bad, and the worst that I ever done was better than edible!!!

( and I have sure tried to screw up a few)

Chad,
just make sure you are leaving yourself enough time to let your vent adjustments take hold. That is probably the most common issue people have in my opinion when they are in their first few cooks. OK, it was MY issue the first cook or two anyway.
icon_biggrin.gif

Have fun!

I'm a lazy bones, I need my sack time. First butt on the WSM was an overnighter, but it was hard to sleep the first couple times. (I had done overnighters on electrics before, but didn't have much expeirience with charcoal). Butts and brisket always gets the overnight treatment. I let the smoker run for a couple hours and let it stabalize, using the famous Minion Method, make sure the pan is full, and go to bed. 90% of the time the WSM is at the same temp (within 5 degrees)after 8 hours in the sack. I just love it.

Robert, I'll take the congrats on the butt. Thanks. But...our daughter, and our money went to Oregon State, home of The Beavers.....
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert Willcockson:
GO DUCKS! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, right on Robert! U of O class of '01 here!

Go Ducks!

sorry for the O/T post but I just hadda...
icon_biggrin.gif

I've got about 4 or 5 overnighters under my belt so far. I usually only get 4-6 hours of quality sleep, but it's totally worth it. And I'm always guarenteed an awesome night of sleep the following evening (well fed and very tired).

Having a digital thermometer with high and low alarms is helpful, you can have it wake you up when your temps are wrong.

Back