Deer Roast

Tim Jordan

TVWBB Member
How long should I brine my deer roast, a few hours or over night . Will this actually add more moister and draw the blood out at the same time ?

A vinegar/water soak will draw blood from the meat and many feel its taste is thenless gamey. I don't think it adds moisture. A venison roast from the ham is a challenge, to me. It is a lean cut and a traditional low/slow smoke hasn't worked, ime. A braising type cook has proved more successfu for me.

Paul

I use buttermilk.

Whatever you use, if there is no salt it it far less likely that moisture addition or retention will be different. I add salt in the same ratio I use for brining. Time depends on thickness and cut; I tend to go 24 hours for thicker cuts.

One thing that will help get rid of some of the gamey flavor is if you remove what you can of the silver skins. same thing works for lamb too. I learned that from a French chef many years ago and it never fails. Remember though, salting will draw out some moisture, even as a brine. My cousin is an avid hunter, he likes to use rendered bacon or pork grease as a baste.

I like to sear then tent in foil until it is falling off the bone then sauce if you like. I haven't brined alot other than turkey. I like marinades like apple or orange juice a little whiskey. Deer is so lean that anything you can do to keep it from drying out makes it better.

Just my thought.

Met a cook group called the fine young canibals they had some good deer and bear. Just copied some of the stuff they did. They pulled out a deer leg and the bone came right out everyone just grabbed a slice of bread and a little sauce and snacks were on.

I agree with Kevin on the use of buttermilk (for gameyness). You can also use milk/buttermilk to to lessen the fishyness on strong flavored fish.

Back