Deep-Frying A Brined Turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I got an e-mail from someone asking if you can or should brine a turkey that you intend to deep fry, and specifically whether it cause problems because of the extra moisture in the meat. Since I've never deep-fried a turkey, I have no idea.

Does anyone have any info or horror stories to share?

Regards,
Chris

I've deep fried a few turkeys, without brining. They came out nice and juicy. They were frozen turkeys that I thawed before frying. I didn't check to see if they had been "pre-brined" by the packager, so I suppose that's always a possibility.

Once the oil was up to temp, it only less than an hour to cook a 15lb bird. You know you're close to finishing, when the turkey begins to "bob" or float in the oil. At this point I remove the bird and test internal temps in several places for doneness. If you leave in much longer, you'll run the risk of drying it out, and letting it get real oily. The skin comes out nice and crispy. I then let it rest, BREAST SIDE DOWN, so any juices in the dark meat can flow into the white meat.

I use canola oil and use about 5 gallons of the stuff. I have a Brinkmann rig, with a 42quart pot with a metal basket insert. You can use peanut oil, and re-use it, but the canola works fine, it's significanlty cheaper for a one time use, and I don't have to worry about filtering/storing used peanut oil for additional fryings.

I know lots of folke like to inject flavorings. I like my turkey to taste like turkey, so I don't inject anything. I do rub it with my favorite rub just before putting it in to cook.

Sorry for the length of this. I hope the info helps.

We have fried a lot of turkeys (80 once between thanks Giving and Christmas, don't recommend that). Brinning and injecting won't cause any problems, just have the bird as dry as you can when you are going to submerge it, much less spitting of hot oil that way.
Jim

I have fried several turkeys & chickens in my frier and I always inject (I'll post that in the recipe section) at least 24 hrs before I fry them. I fry at 350 deg and 4 minutes/lb. Always moist, juicy, and delicious. I'm quite sure that all my birds have been 'enhanced.' I usually wrap the birds in Saran after I inject them but I may leave them open and try for a more crisp skin.
---------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Thanks for the canola oil tip. I have two daughters who are extremely allergic to peanut products, including oil. It is a life threatening allergy so canola will be perfect.

thx,
sonnyJ

Sonny - I've gotten so much good advice from this site. I'm glad I can send some back.

Options are always a good thing to have!

As with all oils, just don't let the temps get away from you. Canola has a slightly lower smoking temp than peanut, but will handle the temps required for a turkey with no problem

When I fry turkeys I dry them and let them sit uncovered in the fridge overnight. This dries out the skin and makes it more crispy. Great crunch in a fried turkey skin sandwich.<G>

I almost always inject turkey for "cajun frying."

Of course, my wife's family is from Louisiana, so she sort of insists on tradition.

Nothing fancy in injecting, just extra flavoring and moisture.

Cajun-fried turkey may be the best you've ever had. My wife's cousin in Shreveport says, "The' isn' any' lak it." (There isn't anything like it.)

For a change, I agree with my in-laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back