Decreased cooking time with higher temps

Van DeWald

TVWBB Fan
How much is the cooking time decreased for each jump in cooking temperature by 25 degrees? Say for example, I'm smoking an 8lb pork shoulder at 250. Rule of thumb tells me to allow 12 hours for that cook. But how much can I estimate that the cooking time will decrease if I bump my smoker to 275 or 300? Again, not looking for specific times, but what's the rule of thumb for each 25 degrees of increased temp?

Last edited:
If your base temp is 250 and you're increasing by 25 degrees, 250 / 25 = 10%, I would expect a 10% reduction in time with each 25 degrees.

12 hours at 250
10.8 hours at 275
9.6 hours at 300
8.4 hours a 325
7.2 hours at 350

If your base temp is 250 and you're increasing by 25 degrees, 250 / 25 = 10%, I would expect a 10% reduction in time with each 25 degrees.

12 hours at 250
10.8 hours at 275
9.6 hours at 300
8.4 hours a 325
7.2 hours at 350

I wouldn't trust this. First, it assumes that temp vs. cook time is linear, and it's most likely not (I'm not a thermodymicist, but I may pass this question on to one I know :) ). Second, it assumes that double the Fahrenheit temp is twice as hot, which is also not the case.

Cook time is a good excuse to drink beer. Why would you want to shorten it? (Just kidding, but I couldn't resist). :)

If you want to reduce cook time, foil. Looking at my cooking logs, 225-240* +12, 240-285* 10-12, and 300* 7-9. Like I said, this my info I got from my cooking logs. No science formula to support this!

To repeat a fact of smoking: "It's done when it's done". Cook times vary widely even at the same temperature. That's why smoking is an art rather than a science.

Just try it several times and go with your own experience. You will develop a feel for the results, which when you think you know exactly the what to expect, you will get a stubborn piece of meat that will make you scratch your head.

Man that's a good question but I am far too primitive to know that answer. i like all the tables because it's interesting. I cook my stuff pretty low until it's done. I've seen some really cool high heat method posts but I'm just not comfortable with that method yet. But eventually I'm going to try it!

My rule of thumb is based on my typical butt cook:

Most butts from BJ's are 9-10 lbs. i cook at 275 and they're done in around 8 hours. i foil at 160.

The reason the relationship is nonlinear is that BBQ is cooked not by "temp" alone but by "time at temp" so at the end of the day you need to give the meat time to break down its internal structures to become tender. That happens faster at higher temps but it still takes some time.

Back