December Feature: Herb Crusted Prime Rib

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
I did this month's feature cook, Herb Crusted Prime Rib. Two words: mmmm, mmmm.

Best beef roast I have ever made for sure though to be fair I usually buy regular outside round or rump roasts and cook them in the oven with onion soup mix. This was the first prime rib I have ever bought and it was Canada AA (equivalent to US Choice) but aged 14 days.

After I took the roast out of the package I used a hair dryer on it for several minutes hoping the oil based paste would stick better to meat that wasn't wet. It seemed to work.

I lit a chimney of Maple Leaf lump, dumped another unlit chimney on top and waited for it to light. Once the WSM was loaded up my initial temp was around 350ºF but it soon dropped and stayed around 280ºF with my Silver Bullet smoking jacket (complete with a couple of added vent holes at the top). It was around 25ºF outside, not windy.

The cook duration took me by suprise. I thought it would take longer but this 6.5lb roast finished in 2 hours 40 minutes at 280ºF. I used two chunks of apple wood and it worked well, I don't think I'll change the smoke level.

I cooked it to 135ºF internal, foiled and rested under blankets in a dry cooler for about an hour while I got the rest of the stuff ready. I would call it overall medium doneness. Center was still just a bit bloody. I took some flack from the family that it was not cooked enough, but I convinced them to eat it. I thought it was perfect.

It was served with garlic mashed potatoes, steamed cauliflower & brocolli, individual yokshire puddings done in oversize muffin tins and Knorr packaged gravy. The gravy was Knorr Roasted Garlic & Red Wine with Rosemary Herb Sauce mix and it went perfectly with the herb paste applied to the roast. Wouldn't change a thing about it, I highly recommend it for this cook (though it was a bit strong with the garlic mashed potatoes which were very strong of garlic this time).

This is the first time I've ever used fresh herbs. Wow. I'm sure to be using them much more in the future. A bit more work but worth the effort.

If you are thinking about trying the Herb Crusted Standing Rib Roast but weren't sure, go for it I say. It was fantastic.

Here are some pics.

Thanks Susan, I bet it would be great on your roti too!

Just want to add my thanks to Chris for the great recipe.

Thanks Shawn -- great writeup!

1) Cool that your roast came all pre-tied, and the price looks pretty good too. Are those Canadian dollars?

2) You picture applet is the best way to look at a group of pics I've ever seen -- cool!

Best,

Doug

I also did the herb crusted prime rib recipe & it turned out fantastic! I really like the Montreal Steak seasoning method but the fresh herbs were definitely worth the extra effort. My family said that it was my best cook yet. My 7.5 lb rib eye roast (bone in) took 3 hours with the WSM at 340*.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Parizo:
... 1) Cool that your roast came all pre-tied, and the price looks pretty good too. Are those Canadian dollars?

2) You picture applet is the best way to look at a group of pics I've ever seen -- cool! ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> yup, Canadian dollars ... that was a special this week so I decided to go for it. I think the regular price at that store is $10.99/lb for that cut. What do you pay?

The applet was a freebee I found on the net (6sense.com). Some have reported not being able to view it so I mean to switch over to something like Webshots but haven't got around to it yet.

Shawn,
That roast looks, out of this world!!!
Nothing beats good old Canadian beef,
Have you ever tried the "Keg" steak spice?
To add little more flavour to your beef
Man, I'm addicted to that stuff.
You can pick it up at any grocery store!!

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestion Steve ... will give it a try. If it's anything like the seasoning of the steaks in their restaurants I'm sure it's fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back