Debate: 13 Bar Genesis vs Summit 400 Series

This post has me checking in on the summit s470 near me… I also saw someone mentioning the N/S burners. I personally love my E330 for indirect cooking. I start with the end burners on high, load some wood chunks into the summit smoker box, for about 7-10 minutes, fill up the middle with chicken breasts (weekly lunch prep) and once the smoke starts, kick them down to medium/low and the chicken turns out delicious, moist and tender with a perfect texture.

(Never cooked on a summit but did steal a smoker box from one, and two sets of the big boy SS grates so I kind of have 🤣 oh and the summit rotisserie poker ends are far superior to the all others Weber makes).

Here is a picture. Liking it so far, upgraded from a 10 year old Genesis. I wanted the rotisserie and the ability to add a griddle.
Really nice - I really like those Summits and even flipped a few. If they had only put a CI firebox and replaced the side burner with an IR, I would have one now instead of the Napoleon.

Almost forgot, put a reminder on you calendar for 9 years from now to remind you to get a new firebox;-). Actually you may want to put a yearly reminder just to check it.
Sounds good, that was the only reason I was looking at the Napoleon too. I decided to go Summit as I do like Weber grills and I got a good deal since it was the last one they had. Looks like they fixed the firebox issue on the new Summit, but no way I wanted to pay $4000 for a grill.

Sounds good, that was the only reason I was looking at the Napoleon too. I decided to go Summit as I do like Weber grills and I got a good deal since it was the last one they had. Looks like they fixed the firebox issue on the new Summit, but no way I wanted to pay $4000 for a grill.
I like the looks of your older style better. Wow $4K and not even stainless cabinet. That is crazy.

Does that new summit still have the rotisserie spit and hooks storage spaces in the bottom? I I’d love to modify that system to fit in a Genesis. So clean and tidy.

Where I live (Condo), I can't really do a smoker full time (ie: Searwood), and have a 2013 Genesis E335. I do like to do ribs and a few other things with a smoke box/foil pouch. My big problem is getting low enough cook temperatures in Late Spring through Early Fall. Once the outside temps drop, I can maintain 250-275 without much issue. During warmer months, I struggle to get lower than 300-320. My burners look ok, good flames, no rust or burn through, so I don't think I need to replace them.

Finally looked at a Summit E470 and noticed the "smoke burner" under the smoker box. Does that burner really let you get a low and slow temp? The new Summit's, with their much larger price tag have lost that option, correct? Should I look closer at last year's model and watch for deals?

The other option is ask people if their newer Genesis E335's can do 250-275 or other options for my existing 11+year old machine.

Where I live (Condo), I can't really do a smoker full time (ie: Searwood), and have a 2013 Genesis E335. I do like to do ribs and a few other things with a smoke box/foil pouch. My big problem is getting low enough cook temperatures in Late Spring through Early Fall. Once the outside temps drop, I can maintain 250-275 without much issue. During warmer months, I struggle to get lower than 300-320. My burners look ok, good flames, no rust or burn through, so I don't think I need to replace them.

Finally looked at a Summit E470 and noticed the "smoke burner" under the smoker box. Does that burner really let you get a low and slow temp? The new Summit's, with their much larger price tag have lost that option, correct? Should I look closer at last year's model and watch for deals?

The other option is ask people if their newer Genesis E335's can do 250-275 or other options for my existing 11+year old machine.
I always thought this was just to add smoke flavor to food, not to actually cook the food, but I could definitely be wrong.

Here’s the excerpt from the User Manual (which doesn’t exactly specify either way):

IMG_8994.jpeg

Maybe a portable pellet grill could be in order. A YouTuber some of us watch, (Tom Horsman) has tested a couple. From Z Grills and Pit Boss IIRC and he had really good results. I don't think the smoke burner in a Summit is going to accomplish as much as you might think

OK. Thanks for the info. Looks like it is just to get the chips/pellets smoldering, not to actually try to keep a lower temp within the grill. I saw some of the Napoleon Grills have a similar smoker burner, and just learned the instructions say to turn off after the chips are smoking. Seems like both have similar functionality that is different than my initial take. Might have to keep thinking. I am very space constrained. Thanks again.

I have now seen in quite a few places NOT to soak wood chips as it will give you longer smoke but not the good type, and that dry warm wood produces much cleaner smoke. Anyone have a take on that?

I have now seen in quite a few places NOT to soak wood chips as it will give you longer smoke but not the good type, and that dry warm wood produces much cleaner smoke. Anyone have a take on that?
My experience is it causes the smoke to be more "acrid" or "dirty" rather than cleaner smoke. Makes sense. You never see someone run a stick burner with wet wood. IMO same difference. I stopped doing it a very long time ago

Back