Dealing with the Rind on Bacon

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
I've read a lot of the threads and instructions for making bacon and have seen suggestions for working with the "rind" (pig skin). But I haven't seen a thread devoted to this subject and trying to collect info on the options.

As a newcomer to making bacon, I'm trying to decide on the better ways to handle the rind (without having to do it in the different ways myself -- even though it will probably come to that). And just to be sure for anyone who is not clear, as I said above, the "rind" is the pig skin which usually is still on the pork belly you buy. In some cases, the nipples of the sow make it obvious what you're dealing with. In other cases, I know some apparently have mistaken a thick fat layer as "rind" even though the skin was removed by the butcher.

So assuming the "rind" or skin is still on the belly, what are your preferred means and time in the bacon-making process for removing it. On my only bacon making effort (which came out great), I removed the rind first using a sharp knife and "shaving" just between the rind and the outer fat layer. Time consuming and tedious, but not really "difficult".

I've seen post that suggest it's easier to remove after curing before smoking and others that say best after smoking. Some say just don't remove it (???). So what do you think and why? Is there some other "better" option?

Also, what is the effect on the final bacon product for removing the rind at each of these stages? I removed it first thinking that the cure and smoke would be more even throughout. Is that correct? Or does it matter?

Next time I'm thinking of removing after curing, but I had a suggestion that after smoking while still hot (or warm) is best. But would that hinder the "bacony" flavor? The rind is a thick barrier to the salt cure and to the smoke.

All in all, it may come down to preference, but as I said, I'd like to find out in one discussion what the options and opinions are.

(And if this was already SPECIFICALLY discussed in on one of these thousands of threads, I'd be happy to have a pointer to the link.)

Thanks, Rich

I leave it on, and eat it. I like the texture of fried rind.

Here in Europe the rind is usually on if you buy bacon in a shop, as well.

Originally posted by Geir Widar:
I leave it on, and eat it. I like the texture of fried rind.

Here in Europe the rind is usually on if you buy bacon in a shop, as well.

Geir, I hope you'll clarify. From what you said, you would remove it after smoking? Then cut into strips and fry? The result would hopefully be better than that delicious snack sold in the US as "Pork Skins"?

Now you have me willing to try it. But is there an effect on the overall taste of the bacon?

Rich

No, I do not remove the rind at all. I leave it on, and you will then have a small strip of rind on your bacon, sliced and ready to fry.

I like the texture of the fried rind on the bacon. In such small quantities as this, it does not taste much, to be frank, but the texture is there. Chruncy rind.

There is no need to worry about things like the rind acts like a barrièr when curing or anything.

If you go to Europe ie Spain, England, Sweden, Germany, Norway and so on, you will be served bacon with the rind on, and in some countries the bacon comes unsmoked.

If I should choose to remove the rind, I would do so before smoking. There is no reason to smoke rind and leave a side of your piece of bacon without smoke taste.

Removing rind takes some practice, but it is not difficult. I like to use a medium sharp knife, angle the knife against the rind and simply cut it off. My Masahioro knives are too sharp, they cut through the rind like butter.
I always do this before any processing if the rind is unwanted for any reason, as when I make bacon to be cubed and stuffed in sausages.

My grandfather used to me on long trips in his Morris Minor convertible. He always bought what he called "Polish" bacon. They were smoked jowls and we had them for breakfast every am. When sliced and fried, we would cut them off, put them in our shirt pocket and eat them all day as candy.
He introduced me to many things as an 8 yr. old, namely Bleu Cheese. Pays to have heritage.(LOL)

I don't really like leaving the rind on - it's too easy to get some little stretch where it didn't get totally cooked because of curling or whatever and it can be rubbery. Or if your bacon is thick it can be so crunchy as to be hard to eat.

Once you've done it a couple of times it's actually quite quick to remove the skin when it's raw. I used to do it in one big piece but it's faster to just cut it off in strips.

I've done it two ways now, prior to curing and after smoking. The after smoking option came off the easiest, almost like pulling the greyskin off ribs. But I think I will keep taking it off prior to curing so that the bacon and smoking have full exposure. My family cuts the rind up and fries it anyway, so it not like it goes to waste.

It seems we're not getting as many opinions as I thought might come, but it's still good to know about.

Apparently, of these responses, most would take the rind off and, it it's removed, most would do it after cure before smoke.

Don't let this keep more folks from offering your thoughts. Maybe after Chris' facelift, we can consider a poll which includes all these options. I like seeing the reasons for your choice though.

Rich

Well, I'm not really sure what you expected. Here's a little decision tree.

1. Make some with and without rind. If you like it with the rind, you're done. If you don't or a family doesn't you'll need to decide when to remove it.
2. If you're going to remove it, after it's been smoked while it's still warmed is easiest, but obviously removes half the smoke since that's just adsorbed on the surface. The only books I've seen recommend this are people who are just putting it in the oven, not smoking it. If you're putting it in the oven this probably makes the most sense. Otherwise only do it if you're lazy or have somehow layered on enough smoke to your taste using only the one side.
3. You would never remove it after the cure and before the smoke because it's no easier than doing it raw and is probably a little harder so where's the advantage?

Again, removing it gets easier with practice - it just takes a few minutes, so anybody who's done it that way a couple of times and knows they don't care for the rind doesn't have a lot of reason to experiment further.

Im often trim a bit of the fat under the rind. Witch means i cut it off. But this is for my butcher bought bellys. No need to cut of the rind AFTER smoking if you dont wanna have it on. But for my "supermarket belly" I keep it on and have it on my bacon. The Rind is actually really good after you fry it. And a thincut like bacon it adds nothing more then texture.(crispy thats how i like my bcn)

I like em both way´s. A thick belly= rind off and i trim some fat. A thin belly cut and i leave it on.

And same goes for the curing stage. If you gonna take it away later = Do it now!

No need to have a shield that takes on smoke/flavour And then cut it off.

If my belly have nippels = Its always off for me.

Hope this makes sense(had a few beers)

What Doug said.
icon_cool.gif

I usually smoke bacon until 150 internal. Immediately after pulling, the rind comes off slick-as-a-whistle when you run a knife between it and the rest of the bacon.

I then cut the smoked rind into 3" or 4" squares, wrapping each individually and freezing for future submersion into a soup or beanpot.

Originally posted by Doug Wade:
Well, I'm not really sure what you expected. Here's a little decision tree.

1. Make some with and without rind. If you like it with the rind, you're done. If you don't or a family doesn't you'll need to decide when to remove it.
2. If you're going to remove it, after it's been smoked while it's still warmed is easiest, but obviously removes half the smoke since that's just adsorbed on the surface. The only books I've seen recommend this are people who are just putting it in the oven, not smoking it. If you're putting it in the oven this probably makes the most sense. Otherwise only do it if you're lazy or have somehow layered on enough smoke to your taste using only the one side.
3. You would never remove it after the cure and before the smoke because it's no easier than doing it raw and is probably a little harder so where's the advantage?

Again, removing it gets easier with practice - it just takes a few minutes, so anybody who's done it that way a couple of times and knows they don't care for the rind doesn't have a lot of reason to experiment further.

Actually, Doug. This hits it on the nose. If the rind isn't easier to remove after curing, then 'nuff said about that.

I like what Wolgast said about leaving it on if the belly is thin, off if thick. That makes sense to me and will be the basis of my trying the on/off alternatives.

And next time I remove one, I'll take the time to try various ways of making use of it.

Rich

Taking the rind off raw belly isn't too hard. Make sure the belly is very cold, and your knife is very sharp.

Press the slab of belly, skin side down, onto a cutting board. Slide your knife between the skin and the meat, and work along the length of the belly. With some practice you can do this with very little waste. If the belly is wrinkled or folded at all you can just clean up those sections after you remove the larger flat part of skin.

And PAY ATTENTION because you'll be cutting towards your other hand!

It also occurs to me that if you make some with the rind on you should also slice some thinner and some thicker. I like my bacon sliced quite thick which I think is part of why I don't like the rind on - if it were thinner it would be a lot less noticeable.

I agree with Wolgast in principle re: the butcher belly versus the supermarket belly, but after I went into the city and got some fancy heritage pig belly from a high end butcher I don't think I'm going back to the supermarket stuff, even though it is much cheaper.

I do like the idea of saving some smoked rind for beans, but not enough to lose half the smoke from the bacon.

I usually remove the rind after smoking and use it to season beans, soups, and stews.

Is there a noticeable difference in smoke flavor in the bacon if you remove it prior to smoking.

I leave it on because I don't want to waste it and it is a welcome addition to many things I cook.

Back