Dead horse beating ahead. Tell me about your grillgrates.

I keep my set up with both the flat and rails up. The only issue that I have is for indirect cooking. My trusty old Genny B gasser burners run East/West so I can't really indirect cook/

Same here.

The GGs separated with a gap in the middle work really nice on n/s burners for two zones. Especially if your hot/flat zone happens to have the extra sear burner.

If you have GGs running n/s and burners e/w, you really can't get "indirect" since the underplate of the GGs will transmit the heat away from where the ON burners are located.

If you really really want indirect, then use one half GGs flat and the other side no GG regular grate. But if what you want by "indirect" is really just "low" then there's multiple ways to do it.

When using my e/w burner grill, I get much less sear just by moving the food from from the GG flat side to rail side. And then I just turn the burners down/off to get a lower temp. I'll also keep the lid open for a bit to cool the whole cooktop down.

To me, cooking "direct low" on the GGs is the exact same result as cooking indirect. To me, cooking indirect and cooking low are synonymous. With indirect being one of several ways to cook low.

Since the GGs have the flame-up suppressing under-plate, low direct is low. Without some kind of extra flame suppression, the issue with low direct is that it can flare-up and become high. Hence the classic grill technique of cooking indirect -- it is low that stays low because it doesn't flare up. One my e/w grill, the GGs work just like putting on an extra set of flav bars -- even heat, no flame-ups.

Last edited:
There are multiple ways to indirect cook. You can even indirect on a Q. On E/W just use the closest burner on high and the furthest low or off. On the Q I would use an elevated rack and foil with some slits underneath.
It's easy to indirect cook with the E/W configured Genny, without the GG's. The issue is that the GG's heat pretty evenly so, theoretically, the temp wouldn't be much lower over the grates where the burners are shut off.

I keep my set up with both the flat and rails up. The only issue that I have is for indirect cooking. My trusty old Genny B gasser burners run East/West so I can't really indirect cook/

Same here.

The GGs separated with a gap in the middle work really nice on n/s burners for two zones. Especially if your hot/flat zone happens to have the extra sear burner.

If you have GGs running n/s and burners e/w, you really can't get "indirect" since the underplate of the GGs will transmit the heat away from where the ON burners are located.

If you really really want indirect, then use one half GGs flat and the other side no GG regular grate. But if what you want by "indirect" is really just "low" then there's multiple ways to do it.

When using my e/w burner grill, I get much less sear just by moving the food from from the GG flat side to rail side. And then I just turn the burners down/off to get a lower temp. I'll also keep the lid open for a bit to cool the whole cooktop down.

To me, cooking "direct low" on the GGs is the exact same result as cooking indirect. To me, cooking indirect and cooking low are synonymous. With indirect being one of several ways to cook low.

Since the GGs have the flame-up suppressing under-plate, low direct is low. Without some kind of extra flame suppression, the issue with low direct is that it can flare-up and become high. Hence the classic grill technique of cooking indirect -- it is low that stays low because it doesn't flare up. One my e/w grill, the GGs work just like putting on an extra set of flav bars -- even heat, no flame-ups.
Thanks for sharing.

The combo GG and OEM grates is a "no-go" for me, as I replaced them with the GG's.
I consider indirect cooking in the traditional sense, with the food cooking opposite, (or in between), lit burners.
It's the only thing that I don't care for, with the GG's in the E/W burner set-up on the Genny B.

I will, however, try an "indirect" style cook on low, to see how it turns out.

Thanks, again!

I consider indirect cooking in the traditional sense, with the food cooking opposite, (or in between), lit burners.
It's the only thing that I don't care for, with the GG's in the E/W burner set-up on the Genny B.

Rick -- having thought and played around with this, my conclusion is that there is not anything special or necessary about cooking "indirect." Cooking "indirect" is just one way to cook over low temp.

I have two gassers both with n/s GGs. One grill has n/s burners so I can do traditional two zone indirect. The other has e/w burners so I can't do true indirect. Makes zero difference as far as I can tell. On either grill I can cook at a low temp.

Don't care if it is low (via traditional indirect zone) or low direct (via the anti flame up from GGs). Low is low -- so long as low stays low. Which means you have to have a way to keep flame ups from happening.

The only thing you can't do without separate zones is cook two different things at the same time at different temps. High temp steak on one side, low temp veggies on the other side.

Ordered a half moon for my kettle with the Labor Day sale. Anyone have any thoughts on wether or not you like them.

I figured they would be fun for steaks, lamb chops, and pork chops.

I know meathead and others like an overall brown crust but you must admit super dark crosshatches look pretty cool when done right.

Meh…I ordered some for my 2008 Genesis about 5 years ago. Last year I switched back to the original cast iron grates that came with it. Maybe I just needed a change...

Rick -- having thought and played around with this, my conclusion is that there is not anything special or necessary about cooking "indirect." Cooking "indirect" is just one way to cook over low temp.

I have two gassers both with n/s GGs. One grill has n/s burners so I can do traditional two zone indirect. The other has e/w burners so I can't do true indirect. Makes zero difference as far as I can tell. On either grill I can cook at a low temp.

Don't care if it is low (via traditional indirect zone) or low direct (via the anti flame up from GGs). Low is low -- so long as low stays low. Which means you have to have a way to keep flame ups from happening.

The only thing you can't do without separate zones is cook two different things at the same time at different temps. High temp steak on one side, low temp veggies on the other side.
Jim - Not all the time. Some times you want to cook at high temps but not have the meat over the fire. Think of vortex wings or beer can chicken. I usually cook them indirect but at about 450°

Jim - Not all the time. Some times you want to cook at high temps but not have the meat over the fire. Think of vortex wings or beer can chicken. I usually cook them indirect but at about 450°
That’s true. Vortex is indirect high heat.

And there, indirect is so that you do not have incinerating flare ups.

So maybe one goal of indirect is to avoid out of control flare ups. GGs are another good way to do that.

One of the cooks that the GGs excel at is a big load of wings cooked direct at medium to high heat.

Back