Dave Santana/"rcplanebuyer" Grates

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I had noticed that someone had posted earlier about Dave's ad on eBay for "Summit 400" grates. These are actually for the 1st generation Summits that had grates the same size as the Genesis 1-5, x000, SIlver, Gold, etc. He notes that in his write-up.

I am posting this because it might indicate that Dave is able to sell Genesis grates again at a more realistic price than when COVID was killing him for raw materials. DON'T USE EBAY. Contact him through Craigslist, and you should get a little better price. Mention TVWBB, too!

I had noticed that someone had posted earlier about Dave's ad on eBay for "Summit 400" grates. These are actually for the 1st generation Summits that had grates the same size as the Genesis 1-5, x000, SIlver, Gold, etc. He notes that in his write-up.

I am posting this because it might indicate that Dave is able to sell Genesis grates again at a more realistic price than when COVID was killing him for raw materials. DON'T USE EBAY. Contact him through Craigslist, and you should get a little better price. Mention TVWBB, too!

Great to hear that hopefully Dave is back at it! This past spring I was ready to splurge for a set of grates for my 2007 Genesis. Hopefully once I get some extra funds I'll be able to go for a set.

Hopefully once I get some extra funds I'll be able to go for a set.
I contacted Dave to see what the status was. He responded, in part:

...With the increase in cost for the rod stock I use to build them it is simply not profitable for me to make them any longer.
I did make a few last month to test the market. I priced them as I must to make my margin and I didn't sell a single set.
So I lowered the price to recoup my cost and cleared them out.

I still carry the flavor bars for your grill if you would like a set.

I can empathize with Dave’s frustration. His current break even price is still a big ask for a lot of folks and now with other similar options like Qulimetal at a lower price point, the market has to have shrunk even further. Regardless, I bit the bullet for a set of Dave’s grates today to go with the flavor bars and z-brackets I’ve already purchased from him and set aside for one of my upcoming personal project grills. To be honest, the whole concept was feeling a tiny bit hollow without his grates so I was super stoked to grab a set and close the self-imposed mental flaw in my plans. Sadly, this now has me at almost $600 in NOS and premium parts set aside thus for this silly grill if I ever actually get around to doing it for myself. Maybe the arrival of the grates will finally prod me into making time for my own stuff instead of always putting the flips first.

There is something very satisfying about using things made by a true craftsman (which Dave is). Knowing so well by using his custom made grates on my Wolf.
For sure:cool:. They look - and cook - really nice on the 1998 Summit you sold me! I am sorry to find out here that the ones we saw on eBay were just a final flash in the pan for Dave. Hopefully, in time, material availability will improve. The Qlimetal 9mm grates are certainly VERY nice, but I am with you in being grateful to have a set made by Dave. He also made the replacement flavorizer bars for this Summit.

Finished inside catalogs.jpeg

Steaks sizzling on the Summit.jpeg
Finished Flavorizer Bars .jpeg

Attachments

• Steaks sizzling on the Summit.jpeg
    Steaks sizzling on the Summit.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 3
Yes, quite honestly I am running u against the same issues he has with my mixer business. I will carefully go through these things screw by screw, checking and or replacing anything questionable, put it back together, tune and detail it to absolute perfection and give a full year warranty no less. And yet, even though I try to maintain pricing to be VERY fair down to as close to no more than half a new one, people still try to beat me up on price and will pay nearly as much for one that's used and beat up with no guarantee for close to the same price. I have even had a couple of those same people then bring me those same beat up worn out hulks wanting them fixed. Really makes me just SMH. So I know where he is coming from getting all beat up from the Chinese stuff

For sure:cool:. They look - and cook - really nice on the 1998 Summit you sold me! I am sorry to find out here that the ones we saw on eBay were just a final flash in the pan for Dave. Hopefully, in time, material availability will improve. The Qlimetal 9mm grates are certainly VERY nice, but I am with you in being grateful to have a set made by Dave. He also made the replacement flavorizer bars for this Summit.

View attachment 76503

View attachment 76505
View attachment 76506
Another reason why I cherish Dave's grates and bars on my A and why I will never part with it! He is indeed a true craftsman! My A may be humble in the full sceme of things, but it is my go to everyday for burgers dogs and the like, and those grates along with my new box make the grill irreplaceable to me!

Back