dark ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Solin

TVWBB Super Fan
Used my new WSM (my second on) for first time Sunday. From start of unpack to putting on ribs took about 1 1/2 hours, includes popping hole in lid and mounting termometer. Bought a new larger waterpan at Walmart but damn thing is to small.

Used Stubbs rub on ribs, only used top rack, kept temp down to no more than 240, mostly ran around 225. Sprayed with a mixture of apple juice and olive oil every 45 minutes. Cooked about 4 hours ribs looked like they were within 1/2 hours, then mopped with some JD Q sauce. Used Kingsford with several handfuls of Hickory chips. Ribs turned out almost black on outside. Tasted great. I have cooked hundreds of ribs on my Klose mobile pit to perfection. I am thinking the color came from the 1. Hickory chips or 2. Apple juice or ?

any ideas?

Were they black when you glazed them?
If they were then it's more than likely the hickory. If it happened after you glazed them, then it was the sugar in the rub turned.
Jim

Yep, they were black when I glazed them. Forgot to add that I had the top vent wide open. Used some Kingsford Hickory chips that I soaked for about 1 hour in water.

Stuff kind of looked like meatsmokers Q. Tasted good, just looked bad. Will use some oak or pecan next time.

Soaked chips is the reason. Soaking works well for grilling but with what we are doing it cause them to smolder and you get black food. It can cause an off flavor also. If you don't have fist size wood chunks then make a double thickness of foil into a bag and place dry chips in, seal and punch a few wholes in the top of the bag with a pencil. Throw that into the charcoal, it will give smoke and you should not have the black rib problem.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back