Dan's Red Eye BBQ Sauce

Dan Krause

TVWBB Fan
Per a request of from the No. 5 Sauce thread, here is a separate thread for my sauce.

In a medium sauce pan combine the following:

1/3 cup fresh brewed coffee
1/3 cup white sugar

Stir over low heat to make a simple syrup. Then add the following:

1 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon rosemary powder
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1 pinch of cayenne pepper

Thoroughly mix these ingredients and heat over low heat for about 5 minutes. Bottle and refrigerate. Allow a few hours for the flavors to meld. Serve and enjoy. Best with beef dishes such as beef brisket or pulled beef.

I will say this after having it on the beef brisket it could use just a little more heat and the coffee flavor was a little lost. I am going to try and add some instant coffee to mix above to get the desired flavor. Overall it was one of my more balanced sauces and was a huge hit at work.

I have done some tweaking to this recipe and here is what I have so far.

Same process as before but with the following ingredients:

1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup fresh brewed coffee

1 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
3 teaspoon instant coffee powder mix
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/4 teaspoon rosemary powder
1/4 teaspoon cardamon powder
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 large pinch of cayenne pepper powder

Again mix on a low heat. Best if let to sit a day or two in the fridge. The flavors also seem more blended when served at room temperature.

I made this yesterday, and it was really good. The only change I made was less cinnamon. The amount that was in there was really too much for my taste... The flavor with that much cinnamon gave it more of a Caribbean taste. I actually ended up adding more of everything else (by about half of the original amount minus the red pepper) to dilute the cinnamon flavor. It turned out pretty awesome. The coffee gave the sauce a very slight bitter flavor, but not too much. It really complimented the flavor of the meat. I also put less red pepper, it simply didn't need it. The flavor is good enough not to cover it up with too much heat. Oh, and I didn't have cardimon powder either, so the version I made didn't have it. I would rate this a 7 out of 10. Thanks for the recipe, I will definitely make this again.

Back