CyberQ WiFi failed probe

John L.

TVWBB Member
Started a cook tonight and my pit temp probe seems to be bad. If I jiggle it around I can get a probably good reading, otherwise it stays around 49-50 deg even with a full on fire in the WSM (I trusted it was just taking a long time to heat up in 30 deg weather).

Anyone know much about how these work or how to repair? I have continuity between the alligator clip, probe, and shielded cable. I have nothing at the tip or shield of the mini connector plug to anything else however.

Also, are newer models significantly more advanced than my old CyberQ WiFi? It’s been my go to for my WSM for probably 10 years.

I have heard of problems at the connection of the probe. Water enters there. I started having problems with my pit probe and replaced it. I think that the meat probes can work for the pit probe also. I have put a meat probe in the wsm rubber grommet and it would show almost the same temp as the pit probe.

Thanks Bill. My old WSM doesn't have a dedicated access spot for the probes. I've always gone under the lid realizing the risks. Now that I have the chance I may take the opportunity to modify my WSM with a better access method for probes.

Thanks Bill. My old WSM doesn't have a dedicated access spot for the probes. I've always gone under the lid realizing the risks. Now that I have the chance I may take the opportunity to modify my WSM with a better access method for probes.
I have the grommets on mine, but don't use them. I notched a groove at the lip where the lid sits. I find it much easier to move meat and grates around. And i don't have to worry about the lid sitting on the wire.

I have the grommets on mine, but don't use them. I notched a groove at the lip where the lid sits. I find it much easier to move meat and grates around. And i don't have to worry about the lid sitting on the wire.
Good to know. No issues with or concerns about rust? Here at the beach basically anything other than stainless or enameled rusts out in a year or two.

Not here in the mountains. Also it is very little metal showing. It's only the edges of the metal showing, so the thickness of the metal under the coating along the cut area. Probably could spray with some high temp black to protect it. It was a mod that a lot of people was doing. I just got a wsm 18 for Christmas and did it to it also. I've got a14, 22, and now the 18 I've done it with all of them after getting them.

Good to know. No issues with or concerns about rust? Here at the beach basically anything other than stainless or enameled rusts out in a year or two.
I'm in central Florida and after I cut my notch I put a little oil on the bare metal and cooked a Pork Butt. The grease and smoke coated the groove and I didn't have rust after 10 years.

On another site we were discussing using a meat probe as an ambient probe. I wrote to Thermoworks asking if there was a difference in construction other than the tip profile. Here's the response.
Hi Lew,

The Pro-Series meat probe and air probe have the same thermistor at the tip of the probe, just differently-shaped metal. The diameter/thickness of the probes is the same at the base, but the meat probe has a tapered tip. Because tapered tip has less mass, the meat probe will react slightly faster to temperature changes than the air probe. The slower response of the air probe is desirable to compensate for opening the door/lid of your oven/smoker.

Other than the size and shape of the metal, there is no difference between the Pro-Series meat and air probes.

Started a cook tonight and my pit temp probe seems to be bad. If I jiggle it around I can get a probably good reading, otherwise it stays around 49-50 deg even with a full on fire in the WSM (I trusted it was just taking a long time to heat up in 30 deg weather).

Anyone know much about how these work or how to repair? I have continuity between the alligator clip, probe, and shielded cable. I have nothing at the tip or shield of the mini connector plug to anything else however.

Also, are newer models significantly more advanced than my old CyberQ WiFi? It’s been my go to for my WSM for probably 10 years.

John,

What replacement did you get for your probe? I'm looking for a backup for my DynaQ ambient. I'm about to be on my 3rd and would really like a backup. So fare bbq Guru has been cool and is just sending me out new probes but I know that won't last forever. At 24 bucks a pop hoping to find something compatible at a cheaper price.

I went through a few probes with my PitMaster IQ until I realized that liquid was causing my issues - I was hanging my probes from the top sometimes and condensation residue would drip down the cable. I started sealing up the intersection where the cable met the probe metal (with some orange hi-temp silicon) and never had another one fail after that. It added both strain relief and moisture proofing.

John,

What replacement did you get for your probe? I'm looking for a backup for my DynaQ ambient. I'm about to be on my 3rd and would really like a backup. So fare bbq Guru has been cool and is just sending me out new probes but I know that won't last forever. At 24 bucks a pop hoping to find something compatible at a cheaper price.
I completely missed this post so sorry for the very late reply. I ordered my replacement from BBQ Guru. I didn't want to chance a compatibility issue since construction can differ making probes not compatible with every readout. I agree, the price and shipping can add up quickly.

I completely missed this post so sorry for the very late reply. I ordered my replacement from BBQ Guru. I didn't want to chance a compatibility issue since construction can differ making probes not compatible with every readout. I agree, the price and shipping can add up quickly.
I was under the impression the newer probes are an upgrade from the old. Both will work on the new controllers. The old "standard" vs new "premium" are supposed to be more moisture resistant. I have always made sure I have a new backup just in case as well. I think I have 3 temp and 8 meat probes.

Back