CyberQ vs Stoker

Stoker can run multiple pits, multiple pit probes, multiple food probes and multiple blowers simultaneously.

You can control stoker from a pc, Mac or iPhone (dunno about android)

Also, with some limitations, stoker has made all upgrades available to end users to flash the units to the newest software. Obviously a pre wifi unit doesn't have the hardware for wifi, but the other upgraded functions still work.

The nice thing about stoker is that we can add features to it using PC software as I have done with stokerlog. All we need stoker to do is to read the probes and keep the fire going which it obviously does.

Do either run the fan at different speeds, or is it just on and off?

Do either have a learn feature like a PID on the Auber and ramp the fan speed down as it approaches the set temperature?

I think they are both on/off. The cycle time gets pretty busy as you come up on temp. 2sec on, 3 sec off kinda thing, but I didn't have any more than a 2-3 deg overshoot even after a 21 hour cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by William Blackwell:

Do either have a learn feature like a PID on the Auber and ramp the fan speed down as it approaches the set temperature? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi William, is fan speed an imortant feature for you? Why?

One thing you might do is take a look at some StokerLog grpahs to see what the overshoot and oscillation looks like.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerd H:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by William Blackwell:

Do either have a learn feature like a PID on the Auber and ramp the fan speed down as it approaches the set temperature? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi William, is fan speed an imortant feature for you? Why?

One thing you might do is take a look at some StokerLog grpahs to see what the overshoot and oscillation looks like. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just me being me.
icon_smile.gif

Like a light bulb, on and off wear it out and a fan turning on and off I just don't know about.

Also I would like to think it would run at full speed when it is 50 degrees below set temp but slow down as it gets closer.

I guess I just don't understand as much as I would like. I would like a little more info than it turns on when the temp is low and off when it is high. I have looked at both manuals already but they deal more with how to set them up and program the settings.

Just me being me.
icon_smile.gif

Like a light bulb, on and off wear it out and a fan turning on and off I just don't know about.

Also I would like to think it would run at full speed when it is 50 degrees below set temp but slow down as it gets closer.

I guess I just don't understand as much as I would like. I would like a little more info than it turns on when the temp is low and off when it is high. I have looked at both manuals already but they deal more with how to set them up and program the settings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So my reply would be, why is fan speed a desirable thing if the temperature oscillation is in a 5 degree range for a 12 hour period (disregarding things like lid lifts)?

I think you will find that the PID on a stoker is so sensitive and tuned that fan speed is not a desirable cost to add. Whatever the algorithim is, I can tell you it is NOT "if t < T fan = 1, else 0". Point being, it is smart enough to avoid overshooting somewhat (you can help that along by ramping once if you want) and it manages temperature oscillation far far far better than an electric oven.

Maybe I'll find some stoker log graphs so you can see what it does.

As to the wear on the fan fro turnign off and on...the is the least of my concerns.

Just me being me.
icon_smile.gif

Like a light bulb, on and off wear it out and a fan turning on and off I just don't know about. Also I would like to think it would run at full speed when it is 50 degrees below set temp but slow down as it gets closer.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The duty cycle of the fan varies depending on the differential of the target and current temps. If you are 50 degrees off, the fan stays on constant. If it is 1 degree, it may stay off for a long time and maybe not even turn on. If it is off by 5 degrees, it may come on once in a while.

Since the fire doesn't act instantly proportional to air intake, you get a built-in filtering/integration of the fan pulse train, approximating proportional control which is I think what you are asking about.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I guess I just don't understand as much as I would like. I would like a little more info than it turns on when the temp is low and off when it is high. I have looked at both manuals already but they deal more with how to set them up and program the settings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hope the above suffices. The algorithm is PID style as best as I can tell. Here is the fan cycling:

749661303_WYsq5-XL.png

The fan is he blue pulses at the bottom. The red is the temp. Follow the path of red and see what the blue is doing.

On your other question, stokerlog can automatically keep the food warm as the target temp is approached based on any food probe you choose. See the "Keep Warm" column in the above graph. Also note how in this example the temperatures are automatically changed based on time/temp settings by the user.

Back