cutting boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherman Byas

TVWBB Member
Ok, I'm tired of hoping I don't break my wife's thin veggie board. I'm in the market for a serious cutting board. Something I can whack Rib Tips, Chickens and such without worrying. So far I see three choices, Wood, Poly, and just recently, Hard Rubber.

Opinions Please!

Poly boards were advised for quite a while as the
easiest board to keep clean but it has been found that wood boards are the best.
Think about two boards, that way you can have one for poultry and another for the rest of your work. Keep them oiled up and they will last for years.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Chilton:
[qb] Check out this from America's Test Kitchen:
America's Test Kitchen ranking of cutting boards

I got one of the Bemis composite wood boards and really like it. I also have a bunch of plastic ones. Some of the plastic ones are too hard.

If you really want top of the line, check out this place

Boos Boards

I can't buy any new toys for awhile, but will get one eventually.

Tom Chilton [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>John Boo is out of his mind. In high school I made my mother a 3" thick board from dark walnut and oak. It weighs about 30 pounds is 20"x24" and I alternated the the light and dark wood. Wood cost me about $30. Maybe I just don't get it but unless it's as strong as titanium those prices are crazy for a wood block.

Now, Wes, you have to remember that those high-priced boards are made from wood salvaged from the true Noah's Ark, they have a hand-rubbed finish that's made from the ear wax of unicorns, and Martha Stewart has personally blessed each and every one. So they must be worth the price. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I'm sure the people at America's Test Kitchens usually know what they're doing. But they recommended one wooden cutting board "with reservations" because, and I quote, "We neglected to oil the board, so it split in several places upon prolonged contact with water." Well duh. Oil the board, don't leave it in prolonged contact with water. I wonder if they treat their cast iron skillets the same way. "We neglected to season the pan, so it rusted upon prolonged contact with water."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Davis:
[qb] Now, Wes, you have to remember that those high-priced boards are made from wood salvaged from the true Noah's Ark, they have a hand-rubbed finish that's made from the ear wax of unicorns, and Martha Stewart has personally blessed each and every one. So they must be worth the price. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thats probably true. Virgin timber from the dark alaskan forest before the iceages. I'm being mean now /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The people that buy those boards probably think I'm crazy for having a TiVo. $200 for a wood block or $200 for a TiVo. It's all personal preference I suppose.

You will find extensive research to show that wood is more dangerous than plastic as a cutting board and the other way round /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif If either set of research was true there would have been a national ban a long time ago on the culprit of spreading so much food poisoning.

My two favorites are the white NSF Rubbermaid cutting boards from Sam?s club and the HUGE wood one from Ikea. My Ikea one was the last they had in stock it was dirty. I was shocked at the dirt, so the gave me 20% off /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Mineral oil is best for wood boards as it does not go rancid. Boiling water is a great way to make sure the bugs are dead plus a little shot from the bleach spray bottle.

Well,

I have an 18" x 24" "Pro Chef Boards" wood cutting board that came from Williams-Sonoma. It was a little pricey but I think it was worth the price. I have had some cheaper boards that did not hold up well with use. Sometimes, you get what you pay for (i.e. ECB vs. WSM).

Wayne

The message that I originally posted here was unnecessarily sarcastic, so I have removed it. I usually use a big white cutting board I got from Sam's Club that was cheap. I wish I had a nice wood one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wayne Sizemore:
[qb] Well,

I have an 18" x 24" "Pro Chef Boards" wood cutting board that came from Williams-Sonoma. It was a little pricey but I think it was worth the price. I have had some cheaper boards that did not hold up well with use. Sometimes, you get what you pay for (i.e. ECB vs. WSM).

Wayne [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I would be interested in hearing your argument as to why it was worth the price. Or what makes it "high-end?" What seperates that chopping block from say another wood board made from the same kind of wood bought at another store for half the price. Or even say a fiberglass el cheapo board.

I suppose there are merits to both sides of the coin here. I have built probably 15 or 20 myself. I have access to the materials and some very expensive woodworking equipment.(none of which is mine) Naturally I think the retail ones are too expensive, but if I didn't have access to all this, I would just have to pay the price to get a good one like everyone else. JMO

Wesley,

The board that I have is :
1. Well made.
2. Has given me great service for several years.
3. Hardly shows any signs of wear from being used.
4. Is not falling apart like some of the less expensive boards I've had.
5. It is a large work surface (432sq/in.)
6. It's heavy so it doesn't move around when being used.
7. And I Like It!

I feel like it is great piece of equipment! (Of course, that is my opinion.) So, I guess what makes it worthy of it's price is MY satisfaction with the board. I shopped around for a while before finally purchasing the board. Williams-Sonoma is a pricey place to shop, but I ended up in their store in Charlotte, NC. I found this board, and determined that it was exactly the board I had been looking for. I had not found a similar board at ANY price. I think it was only around $70, eight or nine years ago.

I use smaller, cheaper boards for light duty stuff. I even use a plastic board quite often. They are useful for some jobs, not for others.

Wayne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So, I guess what makes it worthy of it's price is MY satisfaction with the board. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thats good enough for me. In the end thats all that matters. Like I said above it's all personal preference.

I wasn't sure if there was something in particular that one should look for when buying one.

If anyone is considering how much wood to use and doesn't know. A board foot is a piece of lumber 12" wide by 1' long by 1" thick used for estimating purposes.

Basic calculations are:

Thickness (T) x Width (W) x Length (L) / 12 = BF
1" x 12" x 1' / 12 = 1 BF

I made all my own cutting boards. The local bowling alley ripped up a bunch of lanes and I grabbed all the old bowling alley lanes. I made butcher block tables, cutting boards you name it. Just stripped it all down, cleaned it, ran it through my planer. Then rounded the top edge over, screwed in some nice rubber grommet feet. Oiled them up and look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back