cutlery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Vernon, where'd you get your chef's roll and which one do you have? I've looked around at 'em but I don't really know the ins and outs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Susan Z:
Hey, Vernon, where'd you get your chef's roll and which one do you have? I've looked around at 'em but I don't really know the ins and outs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Susan, go to a restaurant supply shop. They should have several to choose from. Just get one that holds more stuff than you currently think you would want to put in it.

Vernon never did post that picture. Bad, bad Vernon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Finney:
Vernon never did post that picture. Bad, bad Vernon. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GUILTY. Maybe tonight or in the morning when I drag my computer out of the car. (on the family box with the LARGE Screen)

Susan -- The lovely bride picked the roll up for a Christmas gift for me at Gardner-Benoit (sp?) which is a Charlotte food service equipment supply. In so far as I can tell, there is no manufacturer's name on the roll but I will look when I drag it out of the car.

(just finished my 250 mile commute home.)

Now that I have made the obligatory trip to the beer store and fought with FrontPage for an hour, here the pictures are. Since some of them are not fantastically clear, I may reshoot them later.

Vernon's tool roll

Vernon,
I like that on the pictures you qualified the tools as "the most important ones", and you had a beer opener as one of the tools. I'm not argueing, I'm agreeing.
icon_biggrin.gif
Those dang imports with the NON-screw off caps.
Knife roll looks very similar to the ones I've seen in the restaurant supplies here.

Thats a sweet tool kit Vern. I need to get me one of those for tailgating. Much better then hauling my stuff in a paper bag.

Knife rolls (called 'luggage') on the following site link are also available here. I have one from Messermeister I've used for 15 years. Definitely well-made as I stuff it with more than it was meant to hold.

As many have stated here, purchasing a good set of knives is personal preference. Kind of like purchasing a car. You want to take them for a test drive before making the purchase. You want to make sure they are balanced in your hand and are comfortable to hold for extended periods of time.

My preference is a set of four star Henkles that I've had since chef school, 12 years ago. I live by two major rules with my knives; 1. I never put them in the dishwasher. 2. I pass the steel over each side at least five times before use.

You cannot sharpen a knife with a steel you can only straighten the edge but keeping that edge as striaght as possible helps the knife to stay sharp longer.

Some of you guys on this thread seem to be quite knowledgeable about knives - I have a question for you, if you don't mind. I had heard some good reports about a particular sharpening system, and have already ordered a set based on those opinions. I'd like to hear your impression of the set, though. It's the Edgemaker 4-Step Sharpening System.

I grew up using the old steel-wheel knife sharpener that my grandmother had used for years - like THIS but without the handle. As I've learned more about knives over the last few years, I've begun avoiding that one because I'm afraid that while I was getting a sharp edge, I was also possibly putting a bad inward-curving angle on the taper with it.

So... opinions on the Edgemaker? I await your judgement, oh enlightened ones!
icon_smile.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

uhhm Well my name is Dave and I'm a gadgetaholic!! Specially ones used for BBQ,welding,home theater,motorcyles, yadda yadda yadda. Got a few of these various sharpener things and that 4 step is one of them. It actually works pretty well and is pretty fool proof. I'm sure you will like it fine. I just seem to prefer the Profesional Crock stick over the others for some reason. I guess cause you just hold the knife straight up and down and the base is large and seems real stable to me.

Pro Crock Stick

Target has a Chefs Choice, Manual diamond hone,#433, about $12-14. It is a two step that will easilly maintain the correct sharpening angle. It has proven to be very good. It sharpened knives that havent been sharp in YEARS.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keri C:
I'd like to hear your impression of the set, though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Keri-- Since I believe you use Forschner and Wusthof the Edgemaker should work very well. Though not expressly knowledgeable with Edgemaker I'm familiar with similar systems. They are easy to use and quite reliable. (Note: If you have any unbevelled knives in your collection [MAC, Globals, and many other Japanese-made knives] the angle on the Edgemaker, unless adjustable, would not work.)

Keri --

I use an old (Hoffritz?) V stick sharpner similar to the Professional Crock stick in David's post above. It works like a dream once you get your knife sharp. It took me forever to get my forged stainless knives sharp because it cuts so little.

I later acquired a Standard Lansky Sharpening System which I use to quickly (split infinitive?) shape a knife close to the angles that the V stick sharpner uses. Then I use the V sticks to keep the knife sharp. I probably will consult w/ Chris F. to learn to use the steel and increase the time between edge touch-ups.

I summary, it looks like the 4-step system is similar and, once you have the edges shaped to the system, will do you a fine job. Patience until you have the edges shaped exactly to match the 4-step.

Ordered a couple of knives from Cutlery and More dot com. Placed my order sun morning and received an email sun pm saying my knives shipped.
icon_eek.gif
They arrived wed afternoon via Free UPS shipping. Used them over the weekend and i must say i am very happy with the 14" Forschner Beef Slicer with the Granton Edge. The other knife i bought was the Wusthof Grand Prix 7" Santoku knife with the Granton Edge. Love that thing. Going to be the most used knife in the kitchen. Great place to buy knives.IMO Free shipping on orders over $59.00
icon_biggrin.gif
Cutlery & MoreBryan

We are lucky here in Chicago to have a great resource for buying knives retail at discount prices but they also sell mail-order. It's kind of a kick that they are also right down the street from Peoria Packing (great source for ribs/butts and more) as well as Excel Corned Beef. Obviously the mail-order folks can't benefit from their sharpening service but I like that I can drop off my knives in the morning and pick them up on the way home (less than a mile from the office).

Good source for Forschner's as well as others.

Northwestern Cutlery

I agree with the replies that said that knives are a personal thing. For cutting large pieces of cooked meat, I'm very happy with my Forschner 8" chef's knife - it's durable, keeps its edge surprisingly well (especially for a stamped blade), and is cheap. Have also had good luck with Tramontina knives - these are forged blades made of good steel and are very affordable ( they're made in Brazil). Some K-Marts carry them, or you can find them easily online.

My Global knife is a beautiful wonderful thing - it's incredibly sharp and well made. The only downsides are the price and that you have to use a ceramic or diamond rod to sharpen it instead of the standard steel.

All that being said - buy the one that feels best in your hand. Unless you're buying real cheap crap you won't go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back