Cut your own wood ?

I'm only cutting for smoke wood, so the quantity is small. I use my trusty Japanese hand saw. Like this one

I have felled trees up to 10" diameter with it and bucked 'em up. Very sharp saw.

I would think a decent bow saw would work well also.

I think I agree with some other posts. Most wood we buy was probably cur with a chain saw. I just finished sawing up some pine trees in my back yard this afternoon (not for smoking wood - just cleaning up the lot). Anyway, I paid more attention than normal to the amount of oil usage, and it was not very much. It was essentially not noticable on the wood pieces.

BTW I use new oil rather than re-cycled.

I think I'll not worry about this any more....

Ray

I use my miter box also. Definately have to be careful how the log is put agaist the fence and base. Just make sure the wood won't pinch as you cut through it.

Also a note of to miter box seekers. My local Lowes has had black and decker 10" compound miter boxes on clearance for $100. This could be regional. Definately a your mileage may vary thing but if you are in the market worth a look. They aren't moving many in my area. Been four boxes there for like a week and a half. Although I haven't been to lowes for probobly a week now. Clearance stuff usually goes quick around here so I don't know whats up with that.

I thought about picking one up just for smoke wood. Then I decided that I have enough stuff in the garage.

I have a couple buds that have some wood (Apple, Cherry, Maple, Hickory) and have a chop saw. I just have em chop it into 4 inch rounds. Then I take this to it to get the size I want...
chopper.jpg

A roofers hammer. $7.99 at BigLots. Hmmm, a hickory handle.... I see a future use for that after it's sanded down
icon_wink.gif

I have to agree with Mike Drewery. I've been cutting mesquite for years with a chain saw. I burn it in the fire place for heat, smoke with it and have a birddog pup that chews on it. All with no ill effects from bar oil. I personally think bar oil isn't an issue IMHO.

I have been buying smoke wood from a firewood dealer nearby.

The sell hickory, maple, oak and apple in small batches for those who cook w wood.

They don't come in chunks but in junks like you would throw in your fire place.

Last summer I tried cutting them into chunks using my compound mitre saw (chop saw).

One of the junks got jammed so badly that it warped the blade and nearly broke my wrist when it twisted around.

I took it to the service center to get it fixed and they told me that the blade was jammed so tightly that they almost couldn't remove it.

They had to replace the armature (or something I can't remember).

So all you who are using chop saws - do you ever have jamming problems?

I was thinking of getting a plain old buck saw. ... but the chop saw sure was convenient till I broke it.

Anthony, I don't think I would want to cut any smoke wood bigger than 2"-3" in diameter on a miter saw because of kickback. I use my radial arm saw because I've got better control. In either case I use a carbide tip blade and feed slowly so the blade can cut and not bind. Be careful of knots.

Back