Cut Butt in half. 3 lbs each, one w/the bone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Provost

TVWBB Fan
I an effort to rush, I cut what I thought was a 8+ lb butt in half to save some cooking time and speed up the defrost. After cutting I realized I now had two butt pieces around 3 lbs each (one with the bone, one without). Whoops..

Did I screw up?

Should I tie the boneless half with string to keep it from falling apart while cooking?

Should I go easier on the rub now that I have so much surface area on 6 lbs of meat?

Should I tie the two haves together and treat it as a 6 lb butt?

Thanks for your help.

Since you already have it cut in half I'd cook it that way. It will cut down somewhat on the cooking time & you'll get more bark. I would tie up the boneless one & season them the way you always have.

I've never tried that, butt, since the half with no bone was not deboned, I wouldn't think you'd have to tie it up ~ should act just as if it were attached to the bone part, no? I agree the cooking time will be somewhat less, but, you still need to break down the connective tissue during the plateau. I suggest you monitor both with therms.

Maybe the Wizard will chime in here . . .

Please post your results along with the method you use
icon_wink.gif

I've done boneless and bone in ... mostly agree with the others, suggest:

tie up boneless if splayed out, put on bottom, put bone in on top

skip rubbing a couple of sides if you are worried the seasoning will be too strong....you can always add some rub to the pulled meat but you can't get excess salt out

think cook time will be about the same this way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back