Curing and smoking a fresh ham...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Force

Has anyone taken a FRESH ham, completely unadulterated, and injected it with a curing solution and let it sit for couple days, then smoked it on their WSM? Is this possible, and would it come out well? Or do the processors have to add something so they taste "hammy" that we backyard cookers could not achieve?

I read all the info on doing hams on the WSM in the recipe section, but nothing covers this option.

Ideas? Suggestions? Instructions, anyone?

I believe the "hammy" taste comes fromt the curing. I always thought to cure hams they pack them in salt and leave it there for whatever amount of time it takes. Then from there they cold smoke it.
Then again I may be wrong. Also I'm sure there's more then one way to do it.
Maybe try doing a search on the internet for curing and smoking a ham. I'm sure you'll find something.

Good Luck

Thanks Dennis! I realized after I posted I coulda done the same thing, but it's still neat to hear from someone who may have done it before. Both of the links you posted were informative, and I found a few others that were interesting as well, including this thread from another forum:

http://www.theingredientstore.com/foodpreservation/forum1/preservation.pl?read=491

After all the reading, it seems like I'd get the result I'm after far easier going with a "ready to cook" ham instead of starting from scratch. I got an itch...it's a pork fat thing. Guess I'll go scratch it!

I used to cure fresh hams. Here we call 'em Tennessee country hams. Durn near as good as good BBQ when sliced and fried. You wouldn't know they both came from the same animal.

Thanks everyone! Your feedback has re-energized my desire to try this out. We've got a great butcher shop nearby, and I'm sure I'll be able to get a good fresh ham from him, and he might even be able to provide the curing materials. I'll post later to let you all know how it comes out. May be a couple three weeks, but I will re-post!

And Pat, I just may be in touch. Thanks for everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back