cryovac question

John Heutz

TVWBB Fan
I know I saw this question here a couple weeks ago but for the life of me I cannot locate it again. I ordered my first bridsket Monday to be picked up on friday in hopes of cooking for the first time in our new kithen. Well, needles to say, the kitchen is not finished yet and now I have this nice 8 lb brisket sitting in the fridge. How long can I keep the cryovacked brisket in there before I need to freeze it? And will freezing it effect the quality of the Q I'll get? Looks like its going to be another 10 days before the granite counter top will be installed....that in and of itself is another story....aarrggg!!!!!

What does the "sell by" date say on it? The ribs I got the other day had a couple weeks to go until the sell by date came and went. Cryovacs keep them longer than just plastic wrapped on that styrofoam sheet.

I've kept cryovac meat for well over a week past the "sell by" date in the bottom of my reefer. I keep my fridge quite cold, though, so it may be dependent on your reefer temp.

My last brisket flat in cryovac had a sell-by date that fell on a Tuesday, 10 days after the purchase date. I cooked it the following Sunday, and have to say it was probably the best I ever did. Maybe a little coincidental wet-aging? That said, my refrigerator is also very cold-- about 34°.

I was told by a meat purveyor that if cryovac packaged meat is kept below 40° that it would be good for 30 days after the sell by date.

Your right Doug, it is probably wet aging that made it so good.

Al

The package does not have a sell by date. I purchased it from a meat wholesaler. They sell meat typically in bulk to food service organizations. I'll give them a call and see what they recommend. Thanks for everyone's responses.

Also I have never seen any reduction in quality in freezing any meat that is sealed good for any period of time.

if you guys look up "aged brisket" you will see that you can leave meat in the cryovac for a very long time as long as its very cold in your fridge.. 36 degrees.....

sounds like a lil wet aging gonig on

Back