Crispy Breaded Grilled Wings

The only thing I don't think I have mastered is a good sauce for them. I don't much care for hot sauce and butter, I prefer something with a bit of sweetness, but still with some heat. Any suggestions?

Chris

You solution could be as simple as 2 parts of you favorite sweet bbq sauce to 1 part hot sauce. I have used this on many a wing with great success. You can vary the ratios to your taste.

Cheers!

This is exactly what I have been looking for. I have been trying variations of this, but have been making it more complicated than it needed to be, adding honey, fruit juce, etc. This is basic, and dead simple.

I tried this sause this weekend, and it turned out great, just the right amount of heat and sweet.

Chris

Originally posted by Chris Wagg:
This is exactly what I have been looking for. I have been trying variations of this, but have been making it more complicated than it needed to be, adding honey, fruit juce, etc. This is basic, and dead simple.

I tried this sause this weekend, and it turned out great, just the right amount of heat and sweet.

Chris

What kind of hot sauce did you use? A Franks' type or a Tabasco?

I used Frank's original. I like them hot, but my wife prefers them to be a bit milder, this was pretty close the the perfect balance for both of us. I wasn't wanting more flavour, and she wasn't screaming in pain.

Originally posted by Chris Wagg:
I used Frank's original. I like them hot, but my wife prefers them to be a bit milder, this was pretty close the the perfect balance for both of us. I wasn't wanting more flavour, and she wasn't screaming in pain.
Thanks, Chris, I'll have to try that. We had wings on the weekend and I made a honey-garlic sauce (a bit too sweet for out tastes) and the Franks/butter/lemon juice sauce. The second one was good, but I'm not adverse to having a bit of sweetness in my sauce. Thanks also to KenA for the original suggestion.

I followed Larry's directions until it was time to cook. I set up my WSM w/o the pan to cook direct over the coals. Tossed in some pecan chunks, put the wings on the top rack with the smoker running @ 350 or so. 15 minutes a side and they were done, breading was a perfect golden brown. I sauced them with a 6 to 1 ratio of Montgomery Inn BBQ/Sriracha sauce and a tablespoon of Frank's redhot sauce. The crust held the sauce well without getting soggy.

Thanks Larry, it was worth the extra effort!

Note: I was pleasantly surprised how well the Montgomery Inn/Sriracha/Frank's sauce worked, sweet/hot/tart.

I know most of my folks would not want to wait that long for wings. So i'm thinking , if you were to crank the heat or put them directly over the coals, that would aid in reducing the cook time ?

Originally posted by JimH:
I followed Larry's directions until it was time to cook. I set up my WSM w/o the pan to cook direct over the coals. Tossed in some pecan chunks, put the wings on the top rack with the smoker running @ 350 or so. 15 minutes a side and they were done, breading was a perfect golden brown. I sauced them with a 6 to 1 ratio of Montgomery Inn BBQ/Sriracha sauce and a tablespoon of Frank's redhot sauce. The crust held the sauce well without getting soggy.

Thanks Larry, it was worth the extra effort!

Note: I was pleasantly surprised how well the Montgomery Inn/Sriracha/Frank's sauce worked, sweet/hot/tart.
I like the idea of saucing!!!

Originally posted by simon j:
I know most of my folks would not want to wait that long for wings. So i'm thinking , if you were to crank the heat or put them directly over the coals, that would aid in reducing the cook time ?
You can certainly do them at higher temps as Jim did, but I would either do them on the WSM or indirect on the kettle. If you do them over high direct heat you will more than likely burn the breading.

This recipe looked great and the comments were all positive. This was only my second time cooking on the WSM. My temps kept creeping up to 300 and I was fighting to keep them down. I cooked for 2.5 hours anyway and it turned out very dry. I had cooked 4 split breasts as well and they were very dry also.

My other deviation from the recipe was that I let the chicken sit at RT after coating for about 1 hour, not in the fridge.

I will probably try this recipe again, but will be more careful to monitor the cook and not just cook by the clock.

Originally posted by simon j:
Larry - can you advise on making your crispy wings in a typical convention indoor oven ? thanks

I'd cook them at 325º in the oven for an hour-hour and a half or until done. You kinda want them to cook a little lower than you would normally cook chicken, because you wan the fat from the skin to slowly render and in turn fry the breading.

Just tried these Sunday for the first time. Very good! I was surprised how crisp they turned out.

Well I made them Saturday and NOT with good results. I cooked for 2.5 houts at approx 275 and the skin turned out real extra crispy and the meat was dry. I think they were overcooked. I saw 'blood' oozing out so I though they weren't cooked enough - kept them on longer. I know they will be better but I think 2.5 hours was too long.

Glad only my daughters boyfriend was over and not a large group. Redemption tonight - pork tenderloin. I WON'T screw that up!

Yes, no, maybe so?

Back