1 TBS Kosher Salt
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Granulated Garlic
1 TBS Onion Powder
1 TBS Chili Powder
(Seasonings can be adjusted to taste)

Combine all of the dry ingredients

Combine eggs and milk and whisk

Dip the wings in the corn meal, then into egg wash, then back into the corn meal.

Place wings on a cookie sheet and into the fridge for an hour or up to two for the coating to set.

Cook indirect on a very clean and oiled grill at 275* for approximately 2.5-3 hours. Crispy crunchy goodness on the outside and tender moist meat on the inside.

2-24-08001-1.jpg
2-24-08004-1.jpg
2-24-08007.jpg
2-24-08023-1.jpg

Those look absolutely amazing!

I've got a big ole pack of split breasts in the freezer waiting for a nice recipe, think I'd need to modify anything ? I'll probably do it on the WSM.

Update:

I've got about 6 pounds of chicken wings on the WSM. I don't think I would have been able to fit all the wings on the cooking grate of the Performer, plus, I've never done a 3 hour cook in the performer, so I decided to stick w/ the WSM.

Just a foiled water pan and both cooking grates stocked with wings. They smell amazing.. Just for kicks I tossed in a two small pieces of sugar maple.

We'll see how they turn out, hopefully as good as they smell cuz it smells awesome.

It's quiet. Too quiet.

I bet he sampled one, ended up eating all 6 pounds himself, and is now half way through cooking a batch for everyone else
icon_wink.gif

Almost!

They came out fantastic! A little darker than Larry's pics because I put a teaspoon of cayenna pepper into my dry mix...

But my friends were amazed at how crispy these things got on the smoker. Since I cooked them around 275-300 for about 2.5 hours, they fell right off the bone.

The texture wasn't QUITE like fried wings, but pretty damn close and I'm sure they weren't nearly as bad for your as if they were fried.

Lots of prep time for the amount of wings I made (i'd estimate about 40-50 drummies and wing pieces), but it was definitely a hit! Was gonna post pics, but they were gone so fast!

I was going to try this recipe on the WSM with full size chicken drumsticks. How much does anything think I'd have to extend the cook time vs. those listed for wings?

Well, they sure look good in the OP's pics, but I'm here to tell you that they don't turn out like that when you forget to put in the water pan.
icon_frown.gif

That's what happens with 30 degree temps, snow and 40-50 mph hour winds - I was obviously in a rush to get things together to get out of the cold. Man I'm bummed - my first outright WSM failure, but it was operator error, not the WSM. About 2 hours in, I walked outside to see the water pan laying on the ground.

I made these yesterday on the WSM. They were really easy to make and turned out very moist and delicious. The only criticism that I heard was from my SO who said that there was a little too much corn meal in the breading for her liking. I have to agree with her. Next time, I am going to try reducing the corn meal by half and increasing the flour by the same amount.

I'll report my results. By the way, has anyone else tried to modify this recipe?

tried these today with bone in thighs my got on sale. very tasty. pulled them a little early and removed foiled clay saucer and crisped them up a little bit more on the lower grate.they were a big hit. thanks larry

what if i was to make a hot sauce and shake these around in it before serving, should work fine huh? Any reason they would get soggy or anything? thanks.

Originally posted by Dan H.:
what if i was to make a hot sauce and shake these around in it before serving, should work fine huh? Any reason they would get soggy or anything? thanks.

IIRC that's how HOOTERS does em

Tim

thanks tim , the IIRC is the only abreviation I havn't figured out yet by now, but I gather that it would work and I appreciate it. thanks. just wanted to make sure this particular coating didnt have a lower tolerance to getting soggy etc.

My wings are resting in the fridge, and plan on having them on the grates in about 2 hours. That should have them ready right about halftime - we can graze on some other goodies at the start of the game (just the wife, son and I). This will be the first smoke since Christmas day.

Hopefully I have better results than last time I tried.
icon_frown.gif
(see above)

IIRC= If I recall correctly they also deep fry the wings.
That could make a difference, I dunno, hopefully I didn't steer you wrong.

Tim

I have been looking for someone else that just grills their wings for a while now. I don't like to fry my wings, too much fat, and I don't think they taste as good. I use a very tiny amount of flour on the wings, so that the fat coming off creates a nice crisp coating. Careful not to use to much or your wings will taste dusty (yuck).

The only thing I don't think I have mastered is a good sauce for them. I don't much care for hot sauce and butter, I prefer something with a bit of sweetness, but still with some heat. Any suggestions?

Chris

Originally posted by Chris Wagg:
The only thing I don't think I have mastered is a good sauce for them. I don't much care for hot sauce and butter, I prefer something with a bit of sweetness, but still with some heat. Any suggestions?

Try the Tabasco brand Chipotle sauce. It has the sweetness you are looking for, but isn't all that hot. I, personally, do equal parts butter, Texas Pete, and Tabasco Chipotle along with some pepper, garlic, etc. Could even add some suger into the mix for some additional sweetness and some cayenne or black pepper to kick up the heat if you don't mix in the Texas Pete and only use the Chipotle.

You might also try some sort of asian sauce if you want some sweet heat. I have a good recipe but I don't remember it right now. For that matter, Tabasco makes an asian pepper sauce now:
http://www.tabasco.com/tabasco...icy_pepper_sauce.cfm

Back