Crikey, what have I gotten myself into...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok here is the deal Smokey Mountaineers...

I smoked up a turkey breast on Monday night and, gosh darn it, it turned out pretty tastey.

It was one of those soup injected breasts, that I de-boned, with a generous sprinkling of rub, with an apple juice spray down, smoked in apple wood.

Now here is the issue, I have never cooked with these soup injected birds before.

I have always gone out of my way to find the "au natrual" minimally processed birds and looked for some natural un-augmented breasts here is Los Angeles. Yea Right! Good luck!

Anyway, I usually get the natural birds and I either flavor brine or inject a marinade into the bird.

I have been unable to find "minimally processed" turkey breast at any of the local places like Stater Brothers, Costco or Sam's Club.

I refuse to cross the Grocery workers pickett line to goto Ralphs, Safeway, Vons, Albertsons and etc.

I guess I could check out a place like Bristol Farms, Gelson's or Whole Foods but I shuddered at the thought of the cost at any of those stores.

If I can't find minimally processed turkey breast will injecting a marinade make the turkey mushy or too moist?

Anyway,my mother was planning on me smoking up 6-8 breasts in addition to frying 2 flavor brined turkeys.

The fried turkeys are no problem. I already have to live free range birds being fattened up for me.

I am just worried with time constraints, I'll be unable to try out a marinade injected "enhanced" turkey breast prior to Thanksgiving.

Already the end of this week is spoken for... I am doing 10 butts, so I'll be cooking thurs and friday, for a friend's parent's 45th wedding aniversery "family reunion style" picnic this weekend.

Then I have a FB tailgate next weekend so that is a wash.

Will injected "enhanced" breasts turn out good ???

Spyro,

I wouldn't inject the birds. They already have a lot of moisture from the broth injection. I would enhance flavor with a rub applied before smoking and sprinkled on after it is removed and is cut for serving.

What is "Crikey"? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'd go with just a not too salt rub before and after. BRITU is not a good choice for this IMO. Crikey is an English exclamation similar to Dang /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Enhanced bird I would treat as if I had brined them. Like Konrad says, find a rub with less salt.
I would consider a 275 to 325? pit temp and they should be just fine.
The problem with inhanced meat is your paying to much for the solution and I would prefer making my own brine rather than there concoction.
Jim

Jim,

Can I just try to squeeze the "enhancement" out of the bird? LOL /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif just kidding

Sheesh, I'll hunt around for some un-enhanced breast but, like said earlier, that is like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Everywhere you look in La La land, the breasts are enhanced. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Gee, Don, you forgot your cousin Roger's lyrics? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Dang me, dang me
They oughta take a rope and hang me
High from the highest tree
Woman would you weep for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What is "Crikey"? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>From the Macquarie dictionary:

crikey - interjection Colloquial; an expression of surprise; a mild oath; euphemistic variant of Christ

Most often heard spoken with an Australian accent these days. (Think alligators).

Spyro, I actually work for Whole Foods Market, and you're right, our price is high. $4.99/lb. for a 100% natural, humanely raised, nothing added turkey breast. I see you are in Pasadena, and we have a store there. If you want, I can meet you there sometime, I get 20% off that price.

Word of warning: even at that price, our Meat Dept. head honcho expects us to be 100% sold out of just about everything due to the strike.

Wow Jason that is very cool of you!

This board amazes me!

Let me check at Ralphs tonight and if they don't have what I want, I'll take you up on you wonderful and generous offer.

Btw, I don't know what store you work at but I spend alot of time on the westside (westwood, bev hills & brentwood) as well. So it might be easier to come to you.

Thanks again, I am highly appreciative of your generous offer.

Spyro

Yeah, any of those West side stores would be better. I don't work at a store, I'm at the regional office, that's in Sherman Oaks. The MOST convenient store for me to get to would be the one on 4520 N. Sepulveda. (just south of Ventura Bl.) Just let me know, it's really no trouble at all, I just have to flash my employee ID.

As for going to Ralph's... The Ralph's workers are indeed still on strike. The union has a new tactic which is to take the Ralph's workers to the picket lines of both Von's and Albertoson's and strengthen those lines. Then turn as many people as possible to Ralph's. Why? Because that way Von's and Albertsons will get even less business, and the Ralph's will be so overrun that the part time staff (scabs) will never be able to handle the traffic. Personally, I wouldn't trust any perishable product at any of the Big 3 right now, too much room for error.

I guess that tactic worked, because talks resumed this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back