Creosol Taste and a Theorem

When I use a Guru or go for a low temp cook I cut back on the amount of wood used for that cook.

When cooking with the Guru the system is basicly closed and if yor trying to maintain a low pit temp the wood can only smolder.

When cooking on ceramic cookers you use the exhaust vent as part of the pit temp control, for low and slow it is open a 1/4". You learn right away that less wood is better. The same holds true for a cook using the Guru on a WSM.

Try less wood and see what you find.

Jim

When I used just water, it happened a few times, but your right, never with sand, but try the water one time, maybe twice, see if it cleans your lid also.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Bob, I've been doing the no water in the pan for at least six months and have had NO problems with those brown flakes.My lid was like yours shiny and black. I had them all the time when I used water in the pan. I think Doug mentioned in one of his posts one time that he thought it had something to do with the water vapor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Minion:

Try less wood and see what you find.

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, Most times, I use 3 fist size chunks of wood. I almost never go below 250 lid temp, and most times keep it at 260-270 at the lid. Myself, I find no difference in smoking at 260-270 lid temp VS the really low temps. I feel cooking at 215-225 grate temp and stretching a cook out for 20-23 hours may be good for conversation, but adds little to the end results. I think results some times are even dryer. Just my view/opinion.

Bob
The problem is when using a Guru or a cooker that requires you to close or restrict the exhaust as part of the temp control, less wood needs to be used.

Now there are folks that if they're not farting smokerings they aren't happy, well the amount of wood that will make them happy is another whole question.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Minion:
Now there are folks that if they're not farting smokerings they aren't happy...
Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Perhaps the best quote ever on this board. hilarious.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now there are folks that if they're not farting smokerings they aren't happy... Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got to agree with adam. I don't care who you are, that's funny.

I just can't figure out why you have to go off and talk about me like that though.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back