Craycort grates & grilling salmon

Laura D

TVWBB Fan
Hello Everyone - I got my new cast iron Craycort grates last week for my little Smokey Joe and I have been grilling up a storm, learning how to use them as opposed to the Weber grates that came with my grills. I did steaks and vegetables and they have been turning out wonderfully - Hello, Laura's Steakhouse! Tonight I'm going to try ahi tuna and salmon. Tuna I'll sear but I'm not as certain about what to do with the salmon. Anybody here grilled salmon on a cast iron grate, have any thoughts? I'm going to experiment and keep an eye on my little salmon filet, but appreciate any thoughts. Plus I just wanted to crow about my new cast iron grates.
icon_wink.gif

Thank you -

Laura

Congrats on your Craycort purchase!

Everybody's got their methods and preferences but for me, I like crispy salmon skins so when I grill, I do the filets with the skin on, just a touch of oil on the skin side, cracked peppers and just a bit of mustard powder on the other side.

Off it goes on the grill, skin side down, over direct medium-high heat for maybe a minute, then I move it over to indirect side to bake until I see the fish "sweat" and take it off and let it sit for a bit then salt to taste and dig in!

The cast-iron makes for nice dramatic grill marks and really crisps up the skin! Plus it's nonstick so you can lift up the entire filet in one piece without breaking
icon_smile.gif

Welcome Laura!

You can use the CI grates just like the standard ones. For searing purposes, the CI grates need to pre-heat longer than standard issue if that's important to you.

The only thing I consider with salmon is to not over-cook it. I was taught that if you let salmon cook to the point where you see the white protein/fat oozing out; then it's over-cooked. It's also a visual issue; not very appealing.

Paul

Thanks - I grilled it skin side down, then flipped it over briefly to get nice grill marks on top. It was perfect.

The vegetables were perfect, I tried shrimp for the first time - amazing. I really can't say enough about the cast iron grill grates.

Laura

I have done a lot of fly fishing in my day. The guides in Michigan showed me a technique for cooking wild salmon (King Salmon) that works well for me.

Filet the salmon and leave the skin on. Cook direct, skin side down. Carefully time the cook until the skin releases from the filet (the fat layer between skin and meat melts) then remove the filet from the skin and flip, cooking the second side the exact same time as it takes the first side to release. This gives near perfect cooking without over cooking the salmon.

FWIW
Dale53

Back