cray cort grate

Mark P

TVWBB Member
Bought a craycort cast iron grate for my performer last xmass. while i really like the product it sure is a pita to keep it clean.I thought that seasoning it would help, pam, veg oil, however if something burns on it even a welding wire brush has a work out. I just cant get it to release the carbon. That said, anyone have a better idea, or process? Maybe power wash it and re season it in the oven?

Mark, I have one and love it. After cooking, I let the heat from the coals crust up any remains for about 30 minutes. Then I use a wire brush to clean it while the coals are still hot. Then I oil the hot grates. I may add some more oil before grilling the next time.

Mark... I've got two of them and love them. In addition to what Bill said, you can try and cover the grill with pizza pan or cookie sheet while it is burning off. I have a Kettle Q, which is a griddle. I noticed after using it on my cast iron grate, when I removed the griddle from the grate, usually the following morning, the portion which was covered by the griddle in super nice and clean. Worth a shot. I believe if you polled the users of these CI grates, you'd find the vast majority love them. Just a hunch.

[QUOTE I believe if you polled the users of these CI grates, you'd find the vast majority love them. Just a hunch.[/QUOTE]
I do. After use I do nothing but shut down the grill. Next use I fire up to 450 for 10 minutes, brush off any bits from last use that are still there and grill. I never oil the grates, only the food, Have been fine for 5 years

I'm with Dave, once the coals are ready in the chimney I dump them where I want them and put the ci grates back on the grill. I let it heat up for maybe 5min. Then I take my grill brush and knock off the bits and chucks of stuff. After I'm done cooking I just shut it down and leave it for next time and repeat the process. You really don't need to power wash them or use oven cleaner, or anything like that. Let the fire do the cleaning, its the best (and easiest) way to do it. I've had mine for about 6 months or so, and I Love'em. Just don't let them set outside the grill or they will rust. Other than that, they're awesome! Enjoy!

Cast iron cookware collectors often use lye to clean off many years worth cooking residue from vintage skillets and such. I've done it myself. It's easy, cheap and very effective.

Cleaning Cast Iron With Lye

Just saying, if you want your cast iron grates like new again this would do the trick. It's not as extreme as it sounds. Search youtube, there are lots of how-to videos out there.

Back