Craigslist strikes again - with pix

Hank B

TVWBB Pro
I replied to an add for a $40 Weber gas grill yesterday. All I could tell from the picture was that it had extendable tables on both sides and a thermometer in the middle of the hood. It was in downtown Chicago - over an hour drive one way - but about ten minutes from the new grandson.
icon_biggrin.gif

It turned out to be a Genesis Gold B LP SS '05 USA according to the ID sticker. It came with a full tank and cover. I'll have more time to inspect it today when I clean it up, but the only defect I've seen on it so far is that the knob in the propane tank is loose and it's out of date ('98.) I'll post pictures later when we have some daylight.

That leaves me with a quandary. I already had too many gassers and now I really have to think about which to sell off. I hate to break up my Silver A and Silver B because they're like a matched set. But I may have too. I'm not going to get rid of the A because it's such a convenient size. I guess that means the B is going to go.

Maybe I'll give it to my fishing buddy. He has a Charbroil that I checked out on my last visit. I wanted to take a picture of it and caption it "this is why we don't buy Charbroils." because the grate was rusty and had sagged into their version of flavorizer bars. It really looked awful and he deserves better.

I need to stop watching Craigslist!

Here it is a little cleaned up:

DSC_4119-PP.JPG

DSC_4120-PP.JPG

It fires right up.
icon_smile.gif
And I know why the tank knob was spinning. The gas valve is stuck.
icon_frown.gif
Oh, well. Still a great deal!

Great score! When I bought my Silver C years ago, I wanted a Gold but couldn't justify the price difference. Looks like it's in great shape.

If you notice my sig, like you I have lots of Webers, but only one of mine is a gasser. To me, gassers are for last minute or spur of the moment cooks. Judging by your collection, you probably cook mostly over charcoal too. I think the Gold B/Silver A combo is all you need.

Passing your Silver B on is a good idea; your buddy will be grateful.

Hi Lew,
It is nice to have the choice of firing up a gasser to quickly grill something vs. lighting a chimney of lump for something special. Or stoking either WSM for something truly special.

I saw in another thread that you found a great deal on a Performer. That's one of the things on my list so I can upgrade from the Platinum. Either that or a gasser with a side burner for lighting charcoal.

Back