CraigsList score - Blue Performer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay B

TVWBB Fan
Did my first craigslist search in months on Monday, and found this beauty for $85. I had been an avid searcher but grew tired of CL after never finding anything worthwhile.

She is in excellent condition, only issue is the igniter for the gas starter does not work. I will give Weber a call and get a new one, maybe under warranty. The date stamp is DI which looks to be '07.

DSC_0183.jpg

Did my first cook last night, some fajitas from the new mexican market in town. Used the new Stubbs charcoal from Lowes for the first time too. Much better smell at startup. Will continue to buy if lowes continues to sell. I cant believe this was my first cook ever on a Weber kettle. Its going to be fun learning it. Have very fond memories of my dad using his kettle all the time when I was a kid.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albu...03/food/DSC_0185.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albu...03/food/DSC_0186.jpg

Excellent score!!!!!!!!looks brand new. I replaced the igniter on my performer, think it was 10 bucks. I have a 97 model so I think the igniter was a little different. I love the igniter...esp after using cubes for years on my OTG...I still get a kick out of it! Congrats!

You can hook the cooking grate to the middle of the lid holder's clamp if you need a place to put it while the coals are going. Great find. I finally gave up on looking for one myself and paid full retail at $329, but it was still well worth it if you ask me.

Originally posted by Andy Erickson:
You can hook the cooking grate to the middle of the lid holder's clamp if you need a place to put it while the coals are going. Great find. I finally gave up on looking for one myself and paid full retail at $329, but it was still well worth it if you ask me.

Thanks for the tip on the grate, I will check that out. My birthday is at the end of April, and the wife was going to buy me that shiny new Performer at Lowes. Found this at just the right time! It is well worth the full retail price though.

I have been searching on here about my ignitor problem. Seems some people get them working again by cleaning the contacts, but I havent found exactly what I need to do. Are the contacts that need cleaning in the button assembly itself, or down near the gas tube?

I picked up a 8 year old performer several years ago and the ignitor didn't work. I cleaned the contacts and the gas tube and it was fixed.

Remove the screw that holds the spark mechanism to the gas tube. Brush off the oxidation from the tip and reinstall. Make sure there is no rust on the wire contacts.

I have been searching on here about my ignitor problem. Seems some people get them working again by cleaning the contacts, but I havent found exactly what I need to do. Are the contacts that need cleaning in the button assembly itself, or down near the gas tube?

I found my blue Performer as well on Craigslist a few months ago. You'll love it. My igintor wasn't working when I bought it. I ordered a new ignitior. Prior to receiving it, I bought a venturi cleaning brush and ran it through the tube a couple of times. Since then the ignition has started on the first try, every time. You might want to try cleaning the tube first, before you spend money on a new igintor. From what I understand the tubes have a tendency to get obstructed, particularly if the grill isn't used regularly.

Thanks guys. I took the igniter out of the tube and cleaned it up. It was very gunked up. It is still not working. I didnt really have anything to clean the tube out with, I guess I need to find one of these venturi cleaning brushes.

NICE! Although I have an older stainless performer that I bought on CL for $100 I LOVE THE THING! I actually gave away my OTG to a friend since I never used it once I got the Performer. Having the gas ignition is SO nice once you get used to it!

Thanks again for the help guys. Last night I disassembled the igniter tube and gave it a good cleaning. It works now! The igniter and tube were very gunky, but I think the main part of the problem was the steel wire stuffed in the tube! I looked at the owners manual on Weber.com to see if this wire should be in the tube. Turns out it is the match holder/tube cleaner tool weber provides. Looks like he left it shoved in the tube.

Anyways, all clean now, started on first push all 10 times I tested it
icon_biggrin.gif

Thats a great looking performer at a great price. My GF would love that color as Blue is her favorite color. That actually looks like the color of her truck.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back