cracking the door

DW Frommer II

TVWBB Fan
For years I have read about guys propping the door open on the middle section to raise the temperature. I have never been able to do that. Right-side-up, upside down, makes no difference I can't get it to stay propped open...the door always wants to fall out completely.

Can someone post a photo or a detailed description of how this is done?

Thanks for the reply, but I just don't get it. I've tried forked sticks, broom handles and almost everything i could lay my hands on. About the closest I've come is with a stack of firebricks. Of course that kind of blocks the passage of air which makes me wonder what the point is?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony C.:
i turn the door upside down and wedge my long handled grill brush under it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And i thought i was the only one who thought of this!! haha
The know on the door fits into the wire from the grill brush... this allows me to adjust how much i "crack" while still keeping a good grip.

That's it!! Beautiful! If it weren't my bedtime here I'd go out and make that mod. Thanks...that's everything I was looking and hoping for.

A good alternative to propping the door to raise the temp is to offset the lid by about 1/4" to 3/8" (thanks to Bryan S).

Works like a charm.

Typically when I prop the door, I just use my grill tongs to hold it open. Unless you are using the door prop mod w/ screws, you have to be careful as one time I walked inside for about 10 minutes only to find that the door fell completely off.

Since then I offset the lid just to be safe.

I sit my charcoal chimney starter next to the door, then open the door and use the chimney starter to hold it open. I adjust how much the door is cracked by how far the chimney starter sits from the WSM.

Pat

Lonnie,

I made that mod to my access door about 15 minutes ago, haven't cooked with it yet (I will this afternoon) but it is sweet. Works just as advertised.

thanks...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I made that mod to my access door about 15 minutes ago, haven't cooked with it yet (I will this afternoon) but it is sweet. Works just as advertised.

thanks...

DWFII
In the High Desert of Central Oregon

CG w/SFB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I just bend the door outward a bit, so it doesn't seal up. In warmer weather, I bend it back inward and it seals up better.

I simply took a 2" X 2" piece of wood, cut to length, and prop under the door. Works the same with no drilling or hardware required. It's simply a wedge.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DW Frommer II:
Lonnie,

I made that mod to my access door about 15 minutes ago, haven't cooked with it yet (I will this afternoon) but it is sweet. Works just as advertised.

thanks... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I hope this turns out well my friend! Crack on brotha... Please let us know if it works out for you...

I have used mine several times now and this all reminds me. I need to use it again soon!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lonnie Mac:Well I hope this turns out well my friend! Crack on brotha... Please let us know if it works out for you...

I have used mine several times now and this all reminds me. I need to use it again soon!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did country style pork (shoulder) ribs on Sunday. Needed to hold the temp at 300°. The access door mod worked great...best thing since sliced bread...and the ribs turned out great (very fatty bunch, though).

Everyone should do this mod...Weber should adopt/adapt it any pay you a commission...it just takes a few minutes to do and the results are almost as good as a bottle of Black Butte Porter--the likes of which goes down a lot smoother not having to worry about the access door falling off.

Back