Cracked / broken pumpkin roll.

I just measured the cookie sheet pan which I've been using. It's 12 x 18. It's the closest I have to a 15 x 18.

There's also a 9 x 13 that I have.

Seems like I could try one of these options:

1) Keep using the 12 x 18, spread more evenly but don't spread too thin.

2) Keep using the 12 x 18, make more batter (maybe double?)

3) Use one of the 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 that I have.

4) Use 9 x 13.

5- post the recipe
What you re asking is very much like holding your watch up to the phone and asking a jeweler why it won’t run.
Arun, share the recipe someone can read it and see what is going on, you need to work on more full disclosure when you have a problem. It will help far more than throwing out options that are far from what the root problem may be.
I say this because I’ve made jelly roll cakes and they almost all ask for “half sheet” pans greased, lined and greased again. So, I think there is something missing which reading the recipe may help us to sort out.
You say that the recipe calls for a 15x18 but, you are not spreading it full size in your 12x18 and the batter looks very dry and stiff. Something isn’t right.

5- post the recipe
What you re asking is very much like holding your watch up to the phone and asking a jeweler why it won’t run.
Arun, share the recipe someone can read it and see what is going on, you need to work on more full disclosure when you have a problem. It will help far more than throwing out options that are far from what the root problem may be.
I say this because I’ve made jelly roll cakes and they almost all ask for “half sheet” pans greased, lined and greased again. So, I think there is something missing which reading the recipe may help us to sort out.
You say that the recipe calls for a 15x18 but, you are not spreading it full size in your 12x18 and the batter looks very dry and stiff. Something isn’t right.
I was not paying attention to that Timothy. Any one I have made poured out into the pan and filled it side to side.
EXACTLY! This is what Arun seems to do from time to time, only supply partial information.
Sorry about that.

In the future, I will try to post the recipe too, for when I have questions / want help.

Here's the recipe:

Looks pretty straightforward to me. I suggest trying it again following the recipe to the letter and spread it fully in the pan, have you been using the cooling technique they recommend? If you run the batter full width and do the remove and roll for it to cool, the inside towel will keep the moisture content high enough for it to roll properly. Yours looked a little overly brown as well.

Looks pretty straightforward to me. I suggest trying it again following the recipe to the letter and spread it fully in the pan, have you been using the cooling technique they recommend? If you run the batter full width and do the remove and roll for it to cool, the inside towel will keep the moisture content high enough for it to roll properly. Yours looked a little overly brown as well.
I've made it 6 - 7 times and have always had problems with cracking, except for the time in 2017 it seems. The 2017 one still had cracks, they were just smaller.

I use the cooling technique they recommend, with some tips from the video posted earlier. Such as using new wax paper once I place it on the towel.

This most recent time, it didn't crack while I was rolling it with the towel. It cracked after I unrolled it, applied frosting, and was rolling it back up.

Ok, I will emphasize spreading it wider (the 12" width of the cookie sheet), rather than longer (the 18").

If it's overly brown, should I cook it for 1 - 2 less minutes?

Just figure it out, it’s a jelly roll cake for crying out loud. Re read the recipe, the keys for success is right there.
You are not spreading the batter fully, cover the entire surface. That will give you an even thickness which will roll evenly, cool evenly and provide flexibility when rolling, it’s not that hard. Do you know what “folding” is?
You might want to look at some baking sites (no, I can’t help you with that) for greater expertise.
I’m out of suggestions.

Last edited:
Also, are you folding in the pumpkin/lemon juice in step two and folding in the dry ingredients in step 3? If you are using the mixer you could be over mixing it. When they say folding it in it usually means they don’t want it mixed too much. We had a brownie recipe at the bakery that if you over mixed it, it failed every time.

Just figure it out, it’s a jelly roll cake for crying out loud. Re read the recipe, the keys for success is right there.
You are not spreading the batter fully, cover the entire surface. That will give you an even thickness which will roll evenly, cool evenly and provide flexibility when rolling, it’s not that hard. Do you know what “folding” is?
You might want to look at some baking sites (no, I can’t help you with that) for greater expertise.
I’m out of suggestions.
Also, are you folding in the pumpkin/lemon juice in step two and folding in the dry ingredients in step 3? If you are using the mixer you could be over mixing it. When they say folding it in it usually means they don’t want it mixed too much. We had a brownie recipe at the bakery that if you over mixed it, it failed every time.
Thanks.

I think I'm screwing up here.

I'm using an electric mixer, and letting it go for a few minutes until it looks well mixed.

According to this:

I should be using a flexible silicone spatula, which I don't have. I'll get one.

I will also look for a video on folding too.

So the only thing I should be using the mixer for are the eggs and sugar.

For the rest (pumpkin, lemon juice, dry spices), I should be folding.

Re read the recipe! There are two steps where a mixer is important, they both give TIME requirements, folding step is the last ingredient incorporation before the batter goes in the pan. Watch some baking videos this is pretty basic baking technique, yes get a couple of spatulas.
Cake batters need a fair amount of time to develop the silky texture which will give the delicate crumb that is what you need.
I’m done here. Short of coming and doing it for you I think we have told you as much as we can.

Arun, just use the beater for the eggs and the sugar in Step 2 and follow the times given. Get a silicone spatula and fold in the pumpkin in step 2 and the dry ingredients in step 3 and just until it is just mixed. I checked a couple of other of these recipes and both said “do not over mix”. Too much mixing messes with the baking powder’s ability to make the cake rise and be fluffy. Unlike meal cooking, baking is more chemistry. Baking powder, soda, sugar, salt etc all create a chemical reaction to give the desired end result. The amounts you add and the time you mix are very important and should not be changed from what the recipe calls for. An example is salt in bread. People on low salt diets cut back the salt and wonder why the bread loaf is huge now. Salt slows down the yeast, so with less salt the bread raises more. In cooking, salt is usually just a flavour enhancer so other than taste it doesn’t matter. Keep trying, you will get there and be a better baker for it. 🙂

Also, the bold font text in the previous reply was a slip of the thumb and nothing was meant by it.

I used a spatula this time. I hadn't had one before.

I watched videos on folding. I understand it now.

I kept telling myself, don't overmix, be gentle.

I was feeling good about this attempt.

Then when I took it out of the oven, it was crumbly, like a muffin. I hadn't had the pumpkin roll in this texture before.

Because it had this texture, it would not stay in one piece.

How did this happen? And why?

Thanks.

Did lemon juice, or greasing the pan before putting wax paper have anything to do with it? Those are all part of the instructions, and things I've done before.

I think I did pretty good this time. This is the most evenly baked roll I've made. Usually when I take it out of the oven, and remove the wax paper, I can see problems right there. Looking at some of the previous pictures in this thread, it would be crumbly, or one part of it would be burnt, or mushy.

This time, it looked very uniform. I think the fact that I baked it uniform is a huge success, compared to most previous attempts.

I was able to roll it without cracking, to let it cool.

I then put the frosting on. When I re-rolled it, it cracked a little. Overall I think much better than the last few years have gone.

I cooked it for two less minutes this time.

This time, the crack was on the "side", which is better than being in the middle.

Back