Covering your butt?

G

I was reading about the 5 hour pork butt with interest but I'm not ready to try it. However, I wonder if some of the steps could be beneficial for a traditional slow cook. My current method is to simply rub the butt the night before (typically use the Renowned Mr. Brown recipe), light the smoker using the minion method with a full pan of water, and cook the butt at 200-225 on the top grate until it is done. That's it, I don't open the lid, I don't baste or spray and I've always been more than happy with the results.

But after reading some of the methods used on Kick *** Bbq I'm thinking about these modifications...
1) Placing the butt in a foil pan instead of the grate
2) Adding a small amount of beer or apple juice to the pan
3) Covering the butt with foil for the last couple of hours (once it reaches 165 or so).

I'm hesitant to "try to fix it, if it ain't broke" but there's always room for improvement.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks.

It's one of those things you have to try and see what you think.

I do not feel that butt needs very low temps and so I cook them in the upper 200s--about 275 or so. Mopping is unnecessary and does little unless done frequently so I do not mop. I do not like the texture of butt that spent the last couple hours cooking wrapped in foil, nor do I care at all for the majority of injected butts I've tried.

Imo, by far most of the pulled pork I taste that is lacking is lacking because the rub used was weak or insufficient and either the sauce is as well or the sauce doesn't work with the rub and/or the meat. Piling on yet other stuff--more retained moisture from foiling, injection liquids/flavors, etc.--is overkill and results in a homogenized flavor profile that is as confusing as it is uninteresting. That said, I think it's worth trying various things to see what works best for you.

Welcome to the board.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will stick with what works but I am going to try sitting it in an open foil pan without any extra moisture.

I have done the five hour butt...actually takes 6-7 hours, but anyway. I have taken parts of the cook to other cooks though. When doing one or two butts only I do use the foil pan...love the easy clean up. I do not mop nor do I inject. Feel the same way Kevin does.

If I am doing more than two I do not use a foil pan since the two will not fit together in one. Foiling is always an option if you are in a time crunch. I wait until about 172 degrees to foil. I like it to make it through most of the plateau on its own and then speed up the end.

Clay,

When you put the butts in the foil pan do you set them directly on the pan or support them with something? Have you been satified with the bark using this method?

I want to do a similar cook in open pans all day and then finish them with foil in time for dinner that night. Think it will work as well as overnight?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger...
I do not feel that butt needs very low temps and so I cook them in the upper 200s--about 275 or so.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So Kevin

Do you do most of your butt cooks as daytime cooks at this temp or overnights ?

Paul

My first cook with the new WSM was a quick variety butt (8#). I used a foil pan and cooked it to 195 degrees. I rubbed it down the day before, refigerated 20 hours, put it into a foil pan, poured a little apple juice over it, added more rub (sprinkled on, not actually rubbed) Never covered it, gave it a spritz of apple juice once. At 195 I removed it, foiled it and put it in a cooler for 30 minutes. It pulled great and had nice bark (no rock hard but chewy). Hope that helps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
Do you do most of your butt cooks as daytime cooks at this temp or overnights ?

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Overnights. I'm up late and start them then. They could be done as day cooks with an early start though. Briskets I do as day cooks as they cook more quickly and don't need a crack-of-dawn start--not my best hour.

Back