Cousin challenge me!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Hi guys; my cousin wanted me to come over and cook some ribs for tonights fight. I said no problem, since his daugthers and wife love my ribs.
Now he said he is going to cook his own ribs and I will cook my own and see who like them better.
No problem, U see he grills I barbecue! I have tasted his ribs(real tough), he purchased some pork spare ribs at SAMs with me (he has never made pork spare ribs), he changed because of me. He has always used softbone beef ribs, the ten dollar special frozen type.
I use rubs, he marinates, I cook low and slow, he grills. What I need is a great BBQ suace prefer sweet type. Please !!!!!

I can't let this guy beat me.
P.S. just got my smoker a couple of weeks, thank GOD.

If he grills and you cook low and slow for the ribs you can use just about any sauce that you like. The low and slow vs. grilled ribs make you the winner by a KO!

if you like sweet sauces, I'd look at a glaze rather than a sauce. You can do something like an apricot preserves or cranberry preserves or raspberry preserves... you get the picture.

just combine about a cup of whatever preserves/jam you like, squeeze some lime or lemon or vinegar, add in a few TB of dijon if you like, add some heat (chipotle being my favorite for this, but habanero is a great choice too). Bring it all to a simmer and man, you've got some great stuff. When the ribs are completely done, I glaze them as they come off with this. That way it doesn't detract too much from the smoke or the rub.

you can embellish all you like, adding ginger or garlic or lime or whatever tickles your fancy for the moment.

good luck and have fun shaming your cousin.

The easy way out. Five parts KC original bbq sauce to one part honey, although I use more honey. When ribs are finished brush on lightly.

I like the easy way out. I've really come to like Sweat Baby Ray's. They have a hot and spicy I like (I like the "heat and sweet") and their Honey BBQ gives you a more pure "sweet" sauce. The key difference, as mentioned, is that you ribs will be cooked properly.

Why not just use the BRITU recipe which has the sauce Charlie mentions?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C. Main:
The easy way out. Five parts KC original bbq sauce to one part honey, although I use more honey. When ribs are finished brush on lightly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what my Wifey and other family members prefer also. I go stronger on the honey for them also. They like that on the chicken also.

Well guys we had the cookout, no contest, hands down, my cousin is officialy not the BBQ go to guy.

I use my own rub and the suace I experimented on was a hit, KC, honey equal parts, 2ts of cinnamon, some dijon adn finally a touch of vanilla pure extract.
Tha ribs took about 5hours, bueatiful ring when cut, last 10 mminutes put over hot coals to caramalize the sauce.
Baked beans with tiny cuts of the meat flap from spare ribs, cook slowly with real maple syrop and brown sugar, corn on the cob and some grill garlic bread.

Great cookout.
later and thanks for the idea.

Back