Couple questions from new WSM owner

ToddC-IN

Hello all,

Just received my 22.5" WSM yesterday. Of course, I had to put it together right away, so I did just that while each of our would-be presidents "debated" by trying to convince me that the other guy was evil....

As expected, the door didn't fit very well at the top edge. I tried to bend it to the proper shape, with some success, but in the process the bottom-left corner of the door scratched up the finish pretty good. :mad: Nothing like taking the shine off before the dang thing is even completely together, let alone been used. Should I worry about the scratch? It's probably the size of a dime, and the metal is exposed. High temp black paint, maybe... or just don't bother?

Interestingly, I received 2 charcoal grates, which I didn't expect. Is this the norm or did Christmas just come early for me? I was planning on buying a second after reading here that an extra grate turned 90° can help hold the coals in place while still letting the ash fall through. Guess I don't need to bother now.

I'm very much looking forward to putting it through it's paces this weekend. I've really enjoyed learning from you fine folks, and look forward to being part of the community. I already have many mods on my to-do list, as well as recipes to try out.

Todd

Call Weber customer service and explain to them what happened and you might get a new middle section from them. Then you can stack sections and smoke twice the meat. Welcome to the forum.

Good deal on the extra charcoal grate. Mine only came with one. I also had to work on the door as well as center barrel section. Don't worry so much about the outside fit of door if you can get it to where it looks pretty tight from the inside and doesn't push in on the sides from the outside.

Call Weber customer service and explain to them what happened and you might get a new middle section from them. Then you can stack sections and smoke twice the meat. Welcome to the forum.

That's a heck of an idea. I'll give it a try.

Good deal on the extra charcoal grate. Mine only came with one. I also had to work on the door as well as center barrel section. Don't worry so much about the outside fit of door if you can get it to where it looks pretty tight from the inside and doesn't push in on the sides from the outside.

Thanks for the reply, J. I'll give it a go to see how she does before starting in on the mods, but truth is I already have my eye on the kit from bbqgaskets.com to seal things up really well. I know a lot of folks here say it's not necessary, but I plan on eventually getting (or making) a controller, and it seems like precise air control is important with a controller.

I called them today and they're sending me a new middle section and a new door. Didn't even have to try, they just offered. I wish all companies had customer service this good.

After a few cooks all that gasket stuff is likely not necessary. Put handles on the middle section, handles on the charcoal grate and wheels if you plan on moving it around like I do. Then of course holes for the mav, if you get one, and then do it through an existing hole where you put handles on the mid section. weber sent me just about every part a second time, except for bottom charcoal section, I went through 3 tops to get one that fit correctly......................d

Todd whats your first cook going to be ??? ribs :wsm:;)

I actually already have the first one under my belt, and I think it went really well. The WSM is a fantastic new toy.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?36774-First-cook-on-WSM

My sophomore effort will either be ribs or chicken. My wife and I are unloading the rugrat at Grandma's house tomorrow and heading out for date night, so I think I'll do the next cook on Sunday.

David, I'm with you on those mods. That's almost the exact same list that I have current planned. With all those extra parts, you almost have yourself enough to make another smoker. Not sure if it would fit, but I wonder if you could find a kettle on craigslist and use that as the bottom charcoal section.

Back