Couple of Questions from a newbie???

Lee Landrum

Has anyone tried using a 19 inch pizza stone in a 22 WSM? I found one at California Pizza Stones "They also sell through Amazon", I have measured the water pan and a 19 inch stone should take it's place without modification. The one I've found is 5/8" thick and seems like it would do as well for the 22 as Gary's setup has done in his 18......Thoughts......am I crazy? I haven't really cooked much with the water pan but thus far I'm not seeing the benefit other than maybe helping to control temps but at the cost of more fuel.

Next question is what do you guys prefer for charcoal? Do you use different charcoal for different things....like lump for hot cooks and briquets for slower cooks etc.? I have been using KBB for ever and have decided to try something different....I'm not happy with the ashing or the smell. I've been thinking about going with lump but worried about high temps trying to do a PB. You veterans got any suggestions or preferences that you want to share?

Lee;
I have settled on using nothing but original Kingsford as it seems to be very consistent. I have tried various substitutes, but have been turned off by the variable quality of lump (from dust to huge pieces, etc.) and Stubbs costs about twice as much as Kingsford (when on sale). I ignore the smell - I see NO difference in food quality. If Harry Soo (who uses nothing but Kingsford) can win National Championships against the best out there, I can certainly see nothing wrong with it.

But that's just me... "Every many should scratch his own itch in a way that pleases HIM"!:rolleyes:

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

For steaks I use lump. Everything else I use KBB. Call me crazy hut I like the smell of KBB.
I too, love the smell of KBB....smells like.....victory !
In fact, I can smell a smoke-roasted whole chicken victory right now.

I would prefer to use a 22.5" kettle for pizza.
Better working height and easier to get top and bottom cooking temps synced up.

Right know I use KBB. I have a bag of Royal Oak briquettes but haven't tried it yet. I tried Frontier Lump one day to see how it would work and it smelled worse than the KBB. Granted it didn't have as much thick white smoke nor ash that KBB has but it really smelled awful to me. The plus side, after my smoke with the lump, I opened the vents full throttle. In all, the lump lasted a good 12 - 14 total hours above 200 degrees on the lid thermometer (~225 at grate level). I wasn't expecting a full ring of lump to last that long.

Dave

Comp K for me. Costs a bit more but it burns hotter and with less ash. I feel it has a better smoke smell as well. I used to get it at Costco, but B'S has it now too. (At least over by me in Brooklyn) I buy my year's supply at the start of the summer.

Lee;
Some can get away with using a pizza stone as a replacement for a water pan. Others have had them break. They are not really meant for direct flame contact.

I have been just foiling my water pan and use NOTHING else - no water, no sand, not terra cotta - nothing. I have no problem maintaining heat in both my 18.5 and my 14.5 as well as the Mini-Joe.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back