Couple of high heat packer questions...

Don, Looks GREAT! Glad your first one worked out so well. Ain't they fun?

Now that you've had time to (ahem) recover from the party...tell me about the Burnt Ends.

Did you have trouble locating the point of the brisket in order to take it off?

At what point did you seperate point from flat?

Did you use shorter timing for the BE's since you were already at HH, or choke it down?

To me, it seems logical to seperate when foiling, then put the point on the bottom grate, and the foiled flat on the top. Continue with HH till flat is done, then, maybe make temp adjustments for BE's.
I dunno...

Comments anyone?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charles Howse:
Don, Looks GREAT! Glad your first one worked out so well. Ain't they fun?

Now that you've had time to (ahem) recover from the party...tell me about the Burnt Ends.

Did you have trouble locating the point of the brisket in order to take it off?

At what point did you seperate point from flat?

Did you use shorter timing for the BE's since you were already at HH, or choke it down?

To me, it seems logical to seperate when foiling, then put the point on the bottom grate, and the foiled flat on the top. Continue with HH till flat is done, then, maybe make temp adjustments for BE's.
I dunno...

Comments anyone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, Charles.

Sorry, didn't see this and haven't checked email until just now.

I did have some trouble separating the point from the flat. It was pretty clear where it started over the flat but as I got back further it became less evident. I ended up taking some of the flat off with the point. Ended up not being a big deal though.

I took the point off when I foiled the flat for the rest in the cooler. I get your point about separating sooner, when foiling for the braise, but that's not what I did here. Good idea and should work fine.

I put the point back on for 1 hour in the high heat and then cubed, sauced and put it back on while cooking other things on the Performer. I think it was on for about another hour, all vents wide open, but the coals were starting to die.

They were definitely the hit of the party.

IMG_5116.jpg

Back