Country Style Ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefft

TVWBB Member
I have never had much succes with these babies in the past. However, I tried something new this time, and I was very happy with the results. The country style ribs are not actually ribs but strips of pork butt. Here's what I did:

Slathered each of the strips (about 8) with mustard and plenty of rub, something that was similar to one I saw in Paul Kirk's book, but you could use anything. Got the WSM going at 225 (Minion method, sand only), and put these strips in. After about 3 hours, I wrapped all of them together in a bunch of foil, sort of like one big pork butt. After another 3 hours, I had planned to take them out again and put back on the top rack. However, they all started falling apart when I tried to grab them. These babies were done.

The flavor was fantastic. Think of pork butt with the rub applied so that all the meat got the rub flavor. There wasn't really much of a bark, which is something I want to work on in the future.

Jeff

I have served boneless ribs at various get togethers.The next time you do the ribs leave them in the foil for just one hour. They should have a nice pull to them.Eat and B Happy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gary merrill:
[qb] The next time you do the ribs leave them in the foil for just one hour.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Gary is right on. All I can add to that is that after you remove from the foil place them back on the grate. Sauce, turn, sauce, turn. Till you get a nice gooey coating. I've done country style ribs many times. Good eats!

jefft,

You might try cooking the ribs to 190-195 internal with no foil. The ribs are just pork butt slices after all. You should be able to get a good bark doing it that way.
---------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

My problem in the past with country style ribs was that, after the cook, it was all bark. One big chunk of bark. I believe the proper use of foil helped with this problem. In the future, I believe that perhaps 3 hours in the open, 1-2 hours in foil, then 1 hour without foil again to crisp it up.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back