country style ribs on a WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
Today I used the Weber to make some country style ribs with ok but less than exemplary results.

I managed the temperature well and kept it inbetween 225 and 260 (really 250 with a few spikes)

I rubbed them with a basic BBQ rub from Steve Raichlens How to Grill then smoked the ribs for three and a half hours or so. They were a bit dry though flavorful and being dry they were also tough. Internal temps were in the 160-170 range when I took them off.

I was torn on what temprature to take them off as I am learning not to take shoulder off until the collagen breaks down at 195 or so but even at 160-170. I didnt know if that rule applied to things like ribs as well as I wouldn't think there would be enough intramusclar fibers to make a difference?

The one other peice of info is the country style ribs I was using were Smithfield "Lean Generation " pork which I will have to find more about though the butcher promised me it was not an "enhanced" product just a lower fat pork. (I will call Smithfield in the morning to veriffy this)

Suggestions on how to make these juicier and yet full of flavor?

Thanks for the tips

Ok two things, country style ribs you handle as if it is Pork butt (cause it is in most cases), and second low fat is not a what you want to do BBQ. Low fat is dry and tough end product unless you use techniques to improve the outcome.
Injecting or brinning would help by adding moisture and add flavor.
Jim

Tom,
Country style ribs are cut from either the shoulder (butt end) or the loin. You can tell the difference by their color - the ones from the shoulder are darker. The shoulder cut also contains more fat so, possibly, you had loin cut country style ribs. I cook them very much like a butt and they come out very juicy and tender.

Well it was a learning experience, a tasty one if not a little tough but hey it was still good. I did notice that they had two types of chops and I thought the lighter pink ones looked better and picked all loin end chops with a rib end. (they were like little pork chops). I did get a couple of sirloin looking chops with more fat and they definately were better. I may try again later in the week with the shoulder type and see if I can get a better result. Unless I go to KC as a spectator.

Thanks a bunch, great resources. I will call Smithfield tommorow as I saw the same page that you referred me to and am learning to always seek clarification on this enhanced meat stuff as it calls the pork "natural" then says it is higher in protein and nutients. The suspicion that it is tumbled comes from the statement that says it cooks 15-20% faster than other pork (so do most marinated meats!!) They say its all natural but salt and water are natural too. So we'll see.

I am quite grateful that those of you who have been doing this for so long are so willing to share the wealth of your experience with thos of us with far less experience. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back