Country style pork ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Drewery

TVWBB Super Fan
I did a search but nothing came up except on the recipe forum. Do most of you like them they are on sle in Richmond for $0.99/#. Are they any good?

Mike

They're not true ribs, but rather slices of pork butt. They cook up pretty good low & slow like most other BBQ. You have to exercise care not to dry them out, but cooked right and drenched in sauce, they're pretty tasty.

I've only ever cooked 'em up in a big pot of sauerkraut and served 'em with mashed potatoes on the side, but that's an indoor sport....

As stated, they're slices of pork shoulder and not "ribs". I've done them fairly often and like them. They take about 4 hrs when cooked at 250. Careful on the smoke wood because they absorb a lot. Drying out can be an issue so you may want to baste during the last hours. Since you won't be pulling, I would just take them to "fork tender". You might also want to consider marinading them overnight in a zip-lock bag because it's convient and I think helps with moisture and tenderness. I've used WB Italian and also Moore's.

Paul

Yepper. I do them quite often. Well-coating them will rub seems to help keep them moist too.

CSR's are from the blade end of the loin (nearest the shoulder). They don't usually have much marbling like the shoulder. I've had excellent results dusting them with McCormick's Caribbean Jerk and grilling them as opposed to low and slow. I sometimes grill chicken thighs or pork steaks in the same fashion.

I've smoked country ribs several times. I marinate them over night in ziplock bags, with a mixture of 1 part WB Italian Dressing and 1 part mayo mixed together. A little rib rub mixed in wouldn't hurt.

i realize this isn't a bbq technique, but they come out great in tomato sauce with spaghetti. browned and then simmered in the sauce till they practically fall apart. pull off the bones and they come out great.

pork is very italian, not just meatballs...

Les, I agree, my Mom would sometimes use them in her tomato sauce instead of neck bones. I've also smoked them, marinaded overnight, put rub on just before putting them in the WSM. I usually foil them and they come out very moist and tender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back