Country Ribs & Chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I finally found some nice, thick cut country-style ribs cut from the loin (blade end) at Wal-Mart. They also had country-style ribs cut from butts as well. Kind of steep in price though at $1.75 lb for either kind.

Bought a 5.60 lb package as well as a nice 5 lb Butterball chicken. $0.67 lb.

Gonna break out the WSM tomorrow morning and smoke them baby's up. Chicken on the bottom rack.

I usually don't like to use big yardbirds, but those Butterballs are great. The breast meat stays super tender and moist, even the leftovers are juicy when re-heated. Guess it must be from whatever they inject them with.

Usually, I like to brine my own birds if that is decided to be the way to go, but those Butterballs are so good, it saves you the time and trouble because they are already brined (or whatever they do to them).

I like to rub a little olive oil on them, and then sprinkle some Cookshack Spicy Chicken Rub on them.

My nephew works at Outback Steakhouse. He recently gave me about 2 lbs of the Outback Steak Seasoning. It is fantastic on ALL meat. Kind of spicy and very fine. I have tried it on Ribs, Chicken, Pork Chops, Fish, and of course, steak. I will eventually try some on Pork Butts & Brisket.

Rocky...

Here is a clone of that Outback Steak Seasoning. I have never had it at the restaurant, but this is real good stuff regardless.

Yum-Yum Steak Seasoning

4 tablespoon(s) Salt
2 tablespoon(s) Paprika
1 tablespoon Black pepper, coarsely ground
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon Coriander
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric

PREPARATION:
Mix together and use on any beef.

Makes about 1/2 cup.

Sounds good Kevin,
Looks pretty close except that the real Outback Steak Seasoning doesn't have anything coarse in it at all. Everything is real fine. In fact, I can't see any black pepper in it at all. The spicyness must be from cayenne or red pepper.

The Outback Steak Seasoning is really a rusty, brownish color. Not even really red. But, it is even finer than regular table salt.

It is pretty salty and spicy, so you have to watch out. Can't put it on real thick like the Montreal Seasoning or it will be too salty.

I used some on the last chicken I smoked, and it was awesome. I also put some on some lean, boneless porkchops before pan frying them over a really hot burner. Sears in the juices and makes them really crispy on the outside. Otherwise, those lean boneless chops can get rather dry and tough. Just used some olive oil in the pan over a red hot burner and turned them frequently.

mmmmmmm....lol

When I cook a whole chicken I like to use a vertical roasting rack. The trick is to put the bird on the rack legs up. Then the fat drips down over the breasts, keeping the white meat moist.

Bill

Hey Rocky!

I did forget to mention..I put that Yum-Yum thru my burr grinder and it powderizes it. Very fine and a little goes a long way.

I use Kosher salt which actually will give me less salt after grinding to a powder.

I coarse chop the black pepper for measuring purposes. Mine is also a dark reddish color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back