Country Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

B. Foster

TVWBB Fan
All,

I'm planning on smoking a country ham and a turkey for around 40 folks this coming Thanksgiving. I've smoked many turkeys but I've got very little experience with uncooked, cured hams.

Does anyone have any tips they'd like to offer? I'd surely appreciate them.

Thanks!

Oh, and I'm also wondering if it's even possible on the WSM. I read the cooking section about picking hams and it said it basically wasn't compatible. Is it a whole different technique?

I'm also thinking that it may be a bit to salty...I may have to call the butcher back and see if he can get a 'city' ham as the cooking topic suggests.

B,
Not sure if the "Country" ham is the one you want to be cooking. I could be wrong but you may just want to pick up just a regular ham. In my experience with country ham, I have always boiled the slices and dumped the water to get much of the salt out of it. I am sure if I am wrong someone will chime in and let me know.

B, yes the country hams are salty. I tried one one time and did not like it. I soaked it for the required time in water and changed the water per the directions and it was still way too salty. JMO I would go with the city ham if that's the taste your used to.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

Country hams can be smoked with hickory, pecan or a fruitwood. The thing that needs to be done to get the best results is to soak on fresh water for a couple of days, changing the water 3 or 4 times during that time.

Smoke to 160 internal in the center of the ham,very good eating.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
Country hams can be smoked with hickory, pecan or a fruitwood. The thing that needs to be done to get the best results is to soak on fresh water for a couple of days, changing the water 3 or 4 times during that time.

Smoke to 160 internal in the center of the ham,very good eating.
Jim <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Jim. I wonder why the cooking page states this. "While delicious and something of an acquired taste, country ham is not appropriate for barbecuing on the Weber Bullet."

That kind of scares me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryan S:
B, yes the country hams are salty. I tried one one time and did not like it. I soaked it for the required time in water and changed the water per the directions and it was still way too salty. JMO I would go with the city ham if that's the taste your used to.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's what I'm leaning towards. I hope I can find one next week. My usually reliable butcher has told me he can't get one in for a week or more.

Being that my family is from TN, I grew up eating country ham on biscuits for breakfast...nothing better, but, that being said, I too would stick with city ham for smoking

I grew up on Country Ham. It is an "acquired taste", but fit for a King if prepared properly. We typically only got this treat around the holidays and much time was spent to prepare it properly. I would have to say I agree with the information here --> Country Ham A rare treat for the holidays or anytime I have never "re-smoked" a country ham, because the curing process includes smoking.

My family always "boiled" our country ham, and then baked it. Sliced, the deep mahogony red meat is tender and delicious and makes an extremely attractive entree. Leftover slices, lightly fried and served with Red Eye Gravy, biscuits and grits......." ah' that's what I like about the South" (Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen).

If anyone wants additional info on how to boil a country ham (cuts the process down to 24 hours) let me know.

American by birth.....Southern by the grace of God.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve M.:

If anyone wants additional info on how to boil a country ham (cuts the process down to 24 hours) let me know.

American by birth.....Southern by the grace of God. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve, could you send me an email. I really want to try this. Email me at kaoticnew@hotmail.com.

Thanks,

It's not only the salt, it taste diffent too. personally I love country ham, if prepared properly. I like to get the slices. I fry them in butter for a little while to brown them, then I throw in some onions and coffee. I boil the ham in the coffe a bit to suck out some of the salt. Then I take out the ham and add a little cornstarch and black pepper to make some good red eye gravy. Cook up some hash brown and eggs over medium and some toast. Pour the gravy over everything and enjoy! But smoking a county ham, no.

Darn it, I'm getting a craving. Don't know where I can get the hook up here in Twin Falls, but I will be home Tuesday, I know what I am having for breakfast on Wendsday!

My Mother boiled the C ham then wrapped it real tight to keep the heat in, then after several hours she baked it with a mustard glaze. Unbelievable how good they were. People who dont like Country ham probably havent had it cooked properly. I have had some that was disgusting so I know this to be true.

Well, since I'll be cooking for a large group I'm going to go with the city ham. I've cooked them before with decent results. I'd hate to have my first try at a country ham be a bust. It's something I'm going to try in the near future though when not much is at stake.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B. Foster:
I wonder why the cooking page states this. "While delicious and something of an acquired taste, country ham is not appropriate for barbecuing on the Weber Bullet." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I wrote this because most sources suggest that the proper way to prepare a country ham is to soak it (with numerous changes of water), then bake it in the oven. Given that country hams are such a premium (read "expensive") item, can be hard to come by, and have been so lovingly smoked and cured for up to a year, I felt it best to suggest that readers not attempt to smoke a country ham in the WSM.

But given what Jim Minion has said...I might just drop $70 on one of these guys someday and give it a try.

For those interested, there is some good info on prepping and cooking country hams on the Smithfield Hams Web site.

Regards,
Chris

Cool, thanks for the answer Chris. I'm of the same mindset as you. I may as well give it a shot. I mean, how bad can I really wreck it?
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian L.:
I don't see any reason why you couldn't "bake" it in the smoker! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Exactly. Just don't use the smoke wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back