Could Be Better

Lenny Gurvich

Just used the smoker for the first time. I did some chicken quarters, removed from smoker at 170 degrees after about 3 hours. Flavor was good but meat wasn't exactly fall off the bone like I had hoped. Under cooked? Over cooked? Any suggestions?

Chicken isn't something that exactly cooks to falling off the bone on the smoker, you could have pulled it a little earlier too, 160-165 is good.

Lenny, at what temperature did you smoke this chicken at? Did you use any wood? I think you could have smoked it a little longer to get a little bit higher internal temp, but I could be wrong. There so many people on this site that just know what to do and for how long. I just don't know that there are any rules to go by when it comes to smoking other than don't be afraid to try something new and different and most of all, don't be afraid to ask questions.
Good luck and good smoking.

Quarters for 3 hours is too long. I cook whole chickens at one to 1.5 hours. Chicken in my opinion cooks better in the 300-350 range. anything lower is more suitable w/ more connective tissue like pork and roasts. Also try a brine solution...brine for 3-4 hours should do it. Or simply place in gallon ziplock bags w/ an italian vinegarette bottle of dressing overnight. Pat dry and rub.

Lenny
Asking if over or cooked might not be the right question. If you want falling off the bone I would suggest brining and foiling after you get the color and smoke you want. Foiling will get the meat to falling off the bone and not allow it to dryout becuase falling off the bone is taking the meat to high end of the done range.

Jim

I do butterflied halves that I marinate overnight in WB Italian and cook low/slow with water in the pan. They often go 4 to 5 hours and sometimes the meat temp is up around the 170s. The chicken is extremly tender and very juicy. The downside is that the skin is somewhat rubbery, but I discard that to reduce fat intake.

Using the quarters for that length of time could have made them a little dry which could reflect in a lack of "tenderness".

Paul

I try to smoke my chicken between 325 - 350 degrees. It shouldn't take that long for leg quarters. Also I'd try to take the quarters up to 180 internal for falling off the bone.

The reheated left-overs were even better last night. The meat never seemed dry, just a little harder to remove from the bone than I had expected. I remove the skin anyway, so the quality doesn't bother me (removing the skin before cooking is not a good thing I imagine?). Thanks for all the suggestions. Experimenting and trying to get it better each time is what it's all about. Think I'll try some ribs for tonight. Happy New Year to all!

Originally posted by Lenny Gurvich:
(removing the skin before cooking is not a good thing I imagine?).

Yes, leave the skin on during cooking. Helps keep the meat moist. Like you said, if you don't want the skin you can always remove it afterwards.

Dave

Back