Costco ribs?

I get mine from Sam's and they always have the membrane and I actually prefer the racks that have the extra loin meat. Once they're done, that's the end of the rack I gravitate to......I know it more "pork choppy", but it still tastes great. I could eat ribs every day if they let me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Reyes:
I was at Costco last week and noticed along side the full spares and baby backs (loins-$3.99/lb) they now carry St Louis cut ribs for $3.00/lb. I'm not sure of the source but they looked like they were two per pack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was looking for spareribs the other day, and the local chain's meat manager says that he has St. Louis cuts in the back, but they're frozen and $3.49/lb. Go to the restaurant vendor and full spares are $2.10/lb.

"It pays to trim!"

As far as spares - still my favorite. Heavy loin backs a second now since I found some good ones - but I still like the added fat/marble in the spares. AKA - more flavor.

Trimming your own spares to St. Louis is really a simple skill. Check out Allinghams video on the resources section and you will too.

Frankly I would feel cheated buying St. Louis trimmed ribs. I want all that other stuff that gets cut. And it literally takes minutes. St. Louis is just more "presentable" if you will other than that, I like the whole rack individual rib presentation personally.

But have to admit my spares have been trimmed to St. Louis with the cuttings cooked along with them for most all my spares cooks for a couple years now. It's just more fun to pick at the cuttings separate or use them for pulled rib sandwiches, mix in with pulled pork or dump them in with the beans during a big cook.

Thanks Len - for your excellent explanation and summary up thread!

I like the looks of that loin back rack upstream with that club of loin, it would be cooked separate.

I like the untrimmed spares also and do my own St. Louis cut.
Wife does prefer BB's. You should see the ones we get from the butcher - makes them Costco ribs look like shiners.
I do buy ribs and other meat from Costco and I do like their quality.

Almost always buy Costco ribs. They are so much better quality than what I can find at a grocery store. I have tried others, but the family prefers the BBs from Costco. The membrane being already removed is an added bonus.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But have to admit my spares have been trimmed to St. Louis with the cuttings cooked along with them for most all my spares cooks for a couple years now. It's just more fun to pick at the cuttings separate or use them for pulled rib sandwiches, mix in with pulled pork or dump them in with the beans during a big cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My friends love getting my ribtips for their hungry teenagers. Great snack when zapped briefly in microwave with some warmed sauce.

Good thread. I was in Sam's over the weekend and thought about getting a 3 pack for the Super Bowl.

I am going to be doing some serious cooking that weekend. Brisket, pulled pork, sausage, and ribs.

Have not tried ribs or butt from Costco. I have bought both from Sam's, ribs have membrane and easily pulled off, have no complaints..

My local Costco here in Canada score the membrane which makes it harder to remove.

They are very meaty and it is a significant difference to the way I cook them. Next time i will cut them in half, trim the loin and give them an extra hour to cook !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DennisM:
I also noticed that had ST Louis cut ribs..I think I am going to try them today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How'd those turn out? I wanted to try them this weekend.

The Costco I go to in Ottawa cuts the spares down the middle the long way like Canada Mike said. I stopped buying them there.

I get them at T&T now (asian supermarket).

I'm in Toronto and my wife picks up ribs when they are on sale (no idea of the $$$) at Costco. I find the backs pretty meaty and can't complain. The spares tend to be a little thin on what I would call the rib slab and pretty thick on the "Other" slab.

Oddly enough, here they seem to slash the membrane side on spares but not backs. The backs pull, from small to large side, easy as can be. The spares are slashed so you have to do a little more work. Sometimes I just give up but I do notice the difference later.

Bang for your buck, I can't fault the backs. They are fat on the big side but, unless you're going for a comp finish, they seem great to me.

I am doing my first amateur comp cook in June so I've been practicing with Costco backs. It's a back rib only comp. So far I can only get 4-5 comp worthy ribs from the middle. When I do the math, I can only submit 6 ribs which is tough from a single slab if you comp cut them. We only have a 9" X 9" box to present, no garnish.

Long story short, Costco ribs have been as good or better than what I get from my butcher and bulk meat supplier a few minutes away.

I've always read about the Costco ribs but have never pulled the trigger on them. Other meats, yes. With company coming this weekend and wanting to show off some of my culinary skills gained from this website, I'll be on my way to Duluth, GA and getting 2 3packs. Thank you all.

In my experience, most of the high volume places like Sam's, Costco, etc., have more than one supplier of meat and they buy from whomever has the best price available at the time of the purchase. They don't really care if one buy is from IBP, the next from Swift and the next from someone else. What that means is that you might be getting a different brand of meat from one week to the next.

I would recommend that you ask the folks in the meat department about the brand that is currently in the case and then keep track of that information, what your experience was with that brand when you cooked it and base your future buying decisions on what you learn.

I often buy Swift ribs. I tend to buy the packages that have the highest weight listed on the package. Sometimes I buy at Costco and other times at the local grocery store and typically have great success, but occasionally have received some shiners. How does one combat this when you can't open your packaged meat before competition. Bring extra meat?

At $2.99/lb. for Spares, $3.49/lb. for St. Louis and $3.99/lb. for Baby backs I choose Spares every time!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ben K:
How does one combat this when you can't open your packaged meat before competition. Bring extra meat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do the rules specifically prohibit you from removing your meat from the cryovac before arriving at the contest site? I know that both KCBS and IBCA not only allow you to open your meats but you can also do all your trimming in advance. You are only prohibited from seasoning, marinating, injecting, etc. in advance.

Back