Costco refrigerator review

But how many homes have gas and 220 running to their stove?
That's what I don't get about dual fuel. In almost every home we've had it's gas OR 220...never both.
When I bought my Bosch, I did not have 220 to my kitchen. I bought some 10/3 cable a double breaker set and went to town. House hasn't burned down yet :D Unlike so many other homes in my sub that have had electrical fires thanks to the 3 stooges electricians the original contractor used. I can't tell ya how many wire junctions I found where I guess they ran out of wire nuts and or electrical tape and figured "oh well F it" they used strapping tape. (basically scotch tape with fiberglass reinforcement). And this passed our county inspections?!

When I bought my Bosch, I did not have 220 to my kitchen. I bought some 10/3 cable a double breaker set and went to town. House hasn't burned down yet :D Unlike so many other homes in my sub that have had electrical fires thanks to the 3 stooges electricians the original contractor used. I can't tell ya how many wire junctions I found where I guess they ran out of wire nuts and or electrical tape and figured "oh well F it" they used strapping tape. (basically scotch tape with fiberglass reinforcement). And this passed our county inspections?!
When we were in our bigger home 8 years ago, the kitchen had an electric stove. When I remodeled it, I pulled the 220 outlet and line out and had a plumber run the CSST to the stove. My wife was insistent on getting a range with a double oven...gas of course. I didn't like the thing because you had to get on your knees to use the lower oven...silly.
I also ran 220 to a hot tub we bought in that place. Not a fan of service panel connection work but it worked out fine.

no problem. i'll post some options. i went through this similar drill a few months ago on our new home build. so fortunately or unfortunately, i had to learn of the latest products. and we had just upgraded our current home's in-wall oven and cooktop as i explored the costs of going down to a single slide in range to replace the in-wall and separate cooktop.

NOTES:

LG is owned and makes named LG branded appliances.

Whirlpool Corporation owns the Jenn-Air, Maytag, Amana, Roper, and KitchenAid brands.

Electrolux company currently owns Frigidaire, Tappan, Kelvinator and Gibson appliance brands.

The appliances division of GE was purchased by the Chinese-owned Haier company in 2016. Four years prior, the same company acquired the New Zealand appliance maker, Fisher & Paykel. When the Haier company acquired GE, they wisely retFromained the right to use GE brand names through 2056. Today, Haier manufactures GE, Hotpoint, Cafe, Profile, and Monogram branded household appliances.

Samsung owns and makes Samsung. In the summer of 2016, Samsung acquired the Dacor brand of American-made luxury appliances.

So you can see your choices are pretty clear. different brands will have different warranties and might share some parts. Example, KitchenAid's warranty is stronger and longer than Whirlpool. But Jenn-Air is longer and covers more than KitchenAid's warranty. But the parts shared between KA and Jenn-Air are nearly identical on cooktops sans some "beauty" parts.

You didn't specify color. Color will effect price as SS costs more than porcelain black or white.

By slide-in, your control panel will be on the front of the unit, not a rear, upper control panel as that is a free-standing range (they name the types, i didn't).

From what you're describing as your "needs," you're looking at a basic entry level unit these days with few bells and whistles. If you level up to convection personally i love convection), that would be your next price point.

since 1996 in my homes I have owned and used KA appliances (slide in gas range which i absolutely loved). the current home (since 2002) came with GE Profile cooktop and GE Profile built in oven (convection and a separate mircrowave) which all died in (both the cooktop and microwave and oven) 16-17 years.

I'd say the GE Profile was average quality and average durability. Now I am hard on my cooking appliances and used to use them a lot. I cooked for my family of five on them extensively so they probably delivered the life they should have. Would I buy GE Profile again? No. for my needs and features, I am buying GE Cafe for my new home. This was a tough choice as the builder offers this as their upgraded Professional line of appliances.

From my research, I am willing to give the Cafe brand a go as my cooking is now and will be much less intensive then when I cooked for 5+ people over the past 22 years. But my first plan was a dual fuel KA 36" slide in commercial style.

I am a personal fan of KA/Whirlpool products (not fridges, but cooktops and range/slide-ins). I replaced my current home's GE stuff with all KA when i needed new appliances. I bought the KA top fo the line drop in cooktop, 36". it has all the features I wanted and needed. From automatic burner ignition/reignition, illuminated "on" knobs (so i can visually see which burner i left on) to various burner outputs (5k btu lowest to 20k btu highest), i can wok and sear or delicately melt chocolate. the in-wall oven is electric convection and has a major feature set along with a built in micro/convection oven. the micro/convection oven does air frying, crisping and all other standard features. this appliance works well for us and even more now that it's mostly my wife and me for dinner.

If you stay at your feature set, you're looking at $800-1K for a good basic slide in range.

I would look at the Frigidaire, GE and KA offerings. Parts are widely available if service is ever needed. The unit you're seeking isn't overly complex so less features to break over time.

And there are some really good sales going on right now. All three of these brands are assembled in the USA (ovens/ranges). Most microwaves are made in China these days.
Thanks for your input, Brett some very good information there. Barb and I will start looking closer at the ads and see what's out there between now and the first of the year. We've had KA dishwashers that were great and our washer and dryer are whirlpool and both are well over twenty years old and still going strong with no repairs at all.

I think down here they are all in the basement if you have one and I do. If you were on a slab they are probably in the garage I would assume really don't know to be honest.

no problem. i'll post some options. i went through this similar drill a few months ago on our new home build. so fortunately or unfortunately, i had to learn of the latest products. and we had just upgraded our current home's in-wall oven and cooktop as i explored the costs of going down to a single slide in range to replace the in-wall and separate cooktop.

NOTES:

LG is owned and makes named LG branded appliances.

Whirlpool Corporation owns the Jenn-Air, Maytag, Amana, Roper, and KitchenAid brands.

Electrolux company currently owns Frigidaire, Tappan, Kelvinator and Gibson appliance brands.

The appliances division of GE was purchased by the Chinese-owned Haier company in 2016. Four years prior, the same company acquired the New Zealand appliance maker, Fisher & Paykel. When the Haier company acquired GE, they wisely retFromained the right to use GE brand names through 2056. Today, Haier manufactures GE, Hotpoint, Cafe, Profile, and Monogram branded household appliances.

Samsung owns and makes Samsung. In the summer of 2016, Samsung acquired the Dacor brand of American-made luxury appliances.

So you can see your choices are pretty clear. different brands will have different warranties and might share some parts. Example, KitchenAid's warranty is stronger and longer than Whirlpool. But Jenn-Air is longer and covers more than KitchenAid's warranty. But the parts shared between KA and Jenn-Air are nearly identical on cooktops sans some "beauty" parts.

You didn't specify color. Color will effect price as SS costs more than porcelain black or white.

By slide-in, your control panel will be on the front of the unit, not a rear, upper control panel as that is a free-standing range (they name the types, i didn't).

From what you're describing as your "needs," you're looking at a basic entry level unit these days with few bells and whistles. If you level up to convection personally i love convection), that would be your next price point.

since 1996 in my homes I have owned and used KA appliances (slide in gas range which i absolutely loved). the current home (since 2002) came with GE Profile cooktop and GE Profile built in oven (convection and a separate mircrowave) which all died in (both the cooktop and microwave and oven) 16-17 years.

I'd say the GE Profile was average quality and average durability. Now I am hard on my cooking appliances and used to use them a lot. I cooked for my family of five on them extensively so they probably delivered the life they should have. Would I buy GE Profile again? No. for my needs and features, I am buying GE Cafe for my new home. This was a tough choice as the builder offers this as their upgraded Professional line of appliances.

From my research, I am willing to give the Cafe brand a go as my cooking is now and will be much less intensive then when I cooked for 5+ people over the past 22 years. But my first plan was a dual fuel KA 36" slide in commercial style.

I am a personal fan of KA/Whirlpool products (not fridges, but cooktops and range/slide-ins). I replaced my current home's GE stuff with all KA when i needed new appliances. I bought the KA top fo the line drop in cooktop, 36". it has all the features I wanted and needed. From automatic burner ignition/reignition, illuminated "on" knobs (so i can visually see which burner i left on) to various burner outputs (5k btu lowest to 20k btu highest), i can wok and sear or delicately melt chocolate. the in-wall oven is electric convection and has a major feature set along with a built in micro/convection oven. the micro/convection oven does air frying, crisping and all other standard features. this appliance works well for us and even more now that it's mostly my wife and me for dinner.

If you stay at your feature set, you're looking at $800-1K for a good basic slide in range.

I would look at the Frigidaire, GE and KA offerings. Parts are widely available if service is ever needed. The unit you're seeking isn't overly complex so less features to break over time.

And there are some really good sales going on right now. All three of these brands are assembled in the USA (ovens/ranges). Most microwaves are made in China these days.
This is very good, current information. We have had very good experience with Kitchen Aid and Whirlpool. Terrible experience with Samsung and LG for kitchen appliances. LG seems solid for laundry appliances. I've lost faith in Samsung beyond TVs and phones.
Microwaves come from Midea for the most part...they make almost every brand out there.

Thanks for your input, Brett some very good information there. Barb and I will start looking closer at the ads and see what's out there between now and the first of the year. We've had KA dishwashers that were great and our washer and dryer are whirlpool and both are well over twenty years old and still going strong with no repairs at all.
KA has a direct email program and offer manufacturer’s direct discounts and pricing. Worth looking into IMO. I bought my cooktop directly from them. And I bought my hood from that manufacturer direct too. Saved a bunch of coin on both purchases. See if the other brands have that too. It could be worth the 10 minutes time to search and sign up.

Back