Costco or Sam's Club

Interestingly enough, this months issue of Sam's Club's magazine features BBQ! They interview top teams and BBQ restaurants and many of them say they get their meats and spices from Sam's!

I know this is an old thread, but I figured I would chime in.

Sams only had 11 lb briskets this weekend at 1.49 / lb - but I wanted a full packer. I tried Costco with a friend who had a card, and they only had 10 or 11 lb briskets - but at $2.49 / lb. And yeah, the butcher looked at me like I was from another planet when I asked him if he had a full 16 lb in cryovac...

Sams is closer to my home, but Costco is closer to my work. I was debating getting a Costco memmbership after my Sams one runs out - but now that I know they don't do bone-in butts or full packers I think I'll stick with Sam's.

Oh, and those "reduced for quick sale" meats are definitely a bargain when you find them.

I just wish they had a full packer when I went there on Thursday pm. I suppose I could have gone back friday durring the day and asked a butcher, but I was too busy looking other places.

Ryan, I go to Sam's a lot for my competition meat. I usually go a week or two ahead and place my order explaining to the butcher what I need and why. I go in on pick up day and its ready for me. They've ordered packers for me with no problem. You just have to do it ahead of time.

I primarily use BJ's Wholesale Club due to it's proximity to my house (~3 mile), but also carry a membership at Costco & Sam's.

I've been pleased with the BJ's butts and ribs. They're bone-in and have cooked well and tasted great.

The boneless Costco butts are good for making sausage and will be used for future buckboard bacon projects. Their Boston butts are 20 cents/pound more expensive than BJ's ($1.39/lb).

I have been buying BB Ribs from Sams for a few years now. I had one problem with quality. I let the butcher know the next time in and he gave me cryovac for Free

I will not shop at Wal-Mart due to the horrible service but SAMS gets my money every month.

Sams is the only warehouse club in my area. They don't carry full packers and won't order them unless I buy a full case. I have been getting packers at Walmart and have been satisfied.

I am not sure what the anti wally world is all about. I know a couple of people who work there and they don't talk about walmart being a bad place to work. I can't believe they have gotten to where they are if they were as bad as the media and politicians make walmart out to be. As a matter of fact if the media and politicians are against something it is probobly because they are good at what they do. JMO but at the moment I will buy from them. It is really about the only decent price place to buy around here.

There is a costco about an hour away from me. Not worth getting a membership but I would like to visit to see if they have Tri Tip sometime.

I have had very good luck with baby backs at Costco, and like that tri-tips and flanks, 2 of my beef faves, are always available. And those little lamb racks. Sweet. Whole pork loins give me 2 roasts and a bunch of chops for under $20. Asking for stuff "off the run" though, like whole pork butts, is totally hit or miss. Depends who you get.

here is montgomery/fredrick county, MD....
sam's has the bone-in butts, costco does not. also, at costco seems i can only get 4lb flats..and sometimes they are split in half so they will fit in the package. we now are members of both.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DTinley:
Is a packer a Cryovac?

I swear I saw a briskett at sams in Denver in one </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All of the briskets I have bought at walmart and sams were in cryovac, flats and packers. Packers are the whole brisket, flat and point.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I am not sure what the anti wally world is all about. I know a couple of people who work there and they don't talk about walmart being a bad place to work. I can't believe they have gotten to where they are if they were as bad as the media and politicians make walmart out to be. As a matter of fact if the media and politicians are against something it is probobly because they are good at what they do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Only the people that don't work there complain.

We live in Annapolis, there is a Sam's here and 2 costco warehouses about 30 minutes from us. -- They are relatively equidistant from our house. We prefer to go to costco because the Sam's here is filthy and is just an horrible experience all around including the food selection. However with the kids these days we find that it is just easier to go to Sam's instead of making a 1 hour round trip to go to costco. We wish there was a costco here in Annapolis, if there were it would run the Sam's club right out of business. Just MHO.

If anyone here has Showtime, I would recommend catching the last episode of the Penn & Teller show. They were talking about WalMart and discussing alot of the information out there reguarding the way they treat their employees.

I'll admit, it was the first time I ever saw the show but I have always liked how they do things (Penn & Teller that is.)

Back