Costco had a Treager grill manned display today...

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
I made a trip to Costco, today, and they had a manned display of Traeger grills today. I got a chance to talk to the display manager. He is a serious competitor from Georgia and was a delight to talk to. I left with a LOT of respect for that line of grill/smokers. That sure looks like a fine way to grill. It should be as convenient to use as a propane or electric smoker with the benefits of a real grill, the flavor of wood smoke and the heat of charcoal with the convenience of electric. They are a bit pricy but not really when you see what you are getting. They were on special for this week with a couple or three hundred dollars off, depending on model.

I am well equipped but it was still tempting (I might lose my happy home of 58 years if I bought another grill, tho':rolleyes:).

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
My neighbor puts out some very respectable Q on his Trager.

I nudged him towards the WSM back when he was looking around 2011.... He likes it a lot, I like the PP & brisket off of mine better. We had a neighborhood bbq a few years ago & had ours set side-by-side, mine was better :)

His ribs are probably better but I'm not all that experienced with them yet.

Since I have never used a Traeger, my take is entirely speculation. However, I suspect any differences in taste between a Traeger product and a WSM product would be mostly controlled by the cook. The Traeger, compared to comparable grills has some nice specs. One thing I like is the convection fan. Although, to be truthful, I am always impressed with the even cooking I get with my WSM's even the Mini.

When you talk of grills, I would put my Performers up against most anything out there. However, I suspect the Traeger might rival our Performers. However, I seriously doubt that the Traeger will run as hot as my Performer when I dump a full chimney of lit into 1/3-1/2 of my grill (two level fire). I use the really high heat to good effect.

At any rate, I will not be apt to be changing any time soon (like never) but if a feller was just starting out, one of the larger Traeger's would NOT be a bad choice. It is REALLY versatile and has lots of cooking surface. I WOULD like to try one, but am not going to be spending $1000.00 just to try one (no matter how tempting it might be...:rolleyes:). It would be particularly interesting if a feller or gal was limited in space. After all, it IS a grill and a smoker all rolled into one.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

At one point, I was looking to add a pellet to the lineup, namely a Treager, that was before I learned they started to outsource the manufacturing to another country.

I've read (not sure how true it is) that quality has since gone downhill.

My daughter has a traeger pellet pooper. It's great if you don't want to mess with anything, basically a smoke producing oven and it does as advertised, but not my idea of grilling or smoking.

Traeger grills really aren't all that bad, even though I sold mine, true the strong smoke flavor isn't there, it does chicken really good and it makes a great outdoor oven, as for grilling, meh, I'll take good old fashion charcoal over pellets, didn't care much for the way Traeger pellets smelled either when smoking.

Back