Costco Deal

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

While this is my first official post, I have visited the site since August of last year. Before I mention the Costco deal, let me thank each and every poster for your thoughts and advice. The knowledge I have gained here allowed me to avoid countless problems with my Weber smoker. According to my friends, I have become a quasi expert on ribs and butt, while need to greatly improve my brisket skills.

Anyway, here's the deal. Costco is selling a wireless remote thermometer with probe AND a temperature reading fork AND Duracell AAA batteries for $30 inclusive. The instructions with the thermometer indicate it will work up to 75 feet away. The probe temperature range is 32-392 degrees. It is manufactured by NU-Temp and the model number is NU806. I can't guarantee it will work, but Costco has a money back guarantee on everything it sells. I plan on testing it out early next week and will report back.

I have bought one of these units and I am fairly happy with it, but the remote thermometer is off by about 4*F at 212*F. That is, it is only reading 208/209*F when placed in boiling water. I don't feel this is too bad, about a 2% error but I am going to take it back anyway and see if I can get one that is a little better in the accuracy department. The remote unit works as advertised and is a nice feature being able to monitor the temperature from inside your home. I have yet to actually use the fork although the accuracy seems to be better, only off by 2*F at 212*F. All in all I think that it is a good deal and Replacement probes are available on their website for $9.95. Their site is NU-TEMP.com.

[This message has been edited by Don Hilliard (edited 06-01-2001).]

At a competition last weekend, one of the teams had one of these therms and it was reading 100 yards away. The only problem at a contest if too many teams had one, what pit would you be reading.
Jim

Got a another NU-TEMP this morning and it is only off by 2*F at 212*F. I guess that will be okay, only 1% off. Keep on Qing.
Don

Jim,
I was thinking the same thing about these remotes. I think I will leave the remote at home for competitions. Besides, sleeping next to the grill hardly requires the additional distance range.

Dale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jim Minion:
At a competition last weekend, one of the teams had one of these therms and it was reading 100 yards away. The only problem at a contest if too many teams had one, what pit would you be reading.
Jim
</font> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have used up to three of these units at the same time and so far, I have not had a problem with the receiver picking up the transmitter it was programed with at the start.

Dave

Butch,

That sounds like a deal. Any idea how long those therms will be on sale? I live in Europe, but will be in southern California at the end of the month, and I'd like to buy a couple. Cheers.

Well, you know how Costco is, when they are gone you probably won't see them again until next spring. I would guess they will have them until they run out (it seems like seasonal items are a one shot thing there) or change over to their fall stuff in about another month or so. Good luck, hope you can get one, I'll really appreciate the remote this next winter.
Don

Iwent to NU-TEMP.com and could not find the deal with the wireless and the probe for $30... Can anyone help direct me to the right place?!?!
Thanks,
Gary

A friend contacted Nu-Temp and was told that the costco deal was a great one and he should purchase more from costco because the forks sales for close to the $30 and the therm is almost free. They do not sale the units for that kind of money, the therms are around $80.
Jim

Gary,

The deal is at Costco wholesale warehouse stores, similar to a Sam's Club or BJ's warehouse. If you don't have a Costco store near you, you can't get the deal.

Chris

Any other suggestions on a moderately priced remote thermometer? We don't have a Costco around here that I know of...
Thanks
Gary

I have heard that Home Depot and Lowe's in various parts of the country have Polder clones that are selling for less than $ 5.00. They may have a remote type on sale as well.
I cannot verify that, but it is worth a try.

[This message has been edited by George Howard (edited 06-15-2001).]

Anybody out there near a Costco be willing to pick one up and send it to me - and of course I will pay for the shipping !!!
Thanks,
Gary
gsmith@cswnet.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back