Cornell Chicken and the Fire Department

Spencer P

TVWBB Member
I’m originally from upstate New York and I grew up in a town called Elmira. Elmira is about 30 minutes away from Cornell University. I can remember when I was a young lad, riding my bike around the campgrounds in the Appalachian Mountains, waiting for dinner which was Cornell chicken. I have been reading the bullet site for some time now and I was surprised to see the rising popularity of Cornell chicken again. I remember when I had this last (about 25 years ago) that everyone was so worried that it contained a raw egg. Well, no one died so I guess it can’t be that bad as long as everything is cooked through.

Fast forward to 2012. I’m now in charge of grilling and smoking since my father has hung up his hamburger turner. I have been working on my smoking for the past couple of years. Last year I bought myself a 22.5 WSM and have never looked back. Now it was time to start working on the grilling part of the equation. This all started because we talked to one of our local butchers at the “warehouse” store and he recommended that we didn’t buy their ground hamburger. I was puzzled, he explained where most “ground hamburger” comes from and this didn’t sound like something that I wanted to eat. After talking with him for a few minutes, we bought a whole chuck roast and we were off to the local restaurant supply store to buy an electric meat grinder. When we got home, we ground it and grilled it. I had never tasted anything like it. As I mentioned before, I never looked back and this is why I decided to start grilling more.

Back to the chicken, after reading multiple posts on the Cornell chicken, I noticed that some were now marinating it overnight. This sounded like a good idea and wanted to try it. Off to the store I went to get the ingredients. (As a side note, I have been buying whole chickens and cutting them up myself and that has saved a lot of money and the trim of the meat is much better). The day before, I made the sauce for the chicken and put it into the fridge. The next morning I put the chicken in the sauce and gave it a shake every once in awhile. It was in the marinade for about 8 hours.

To prepare the fire, I have been using Royal Oak lump as it readily available and I have had good success with it. I also created a “safe zone” just in case. I had read on some posts that it smokes a little and if a fire breaks out, just close the lid and it will go out. After the grill was ready, I put the chicken on and closed the lid. We are the only house on our street so we can kind of do things without to much trouble. We do have a neighbor that is adjacent to us, but as they say, “Good fences make good neighbors”. The chicken was sizzling and all looked good. I was basing it about every five minutes. About 15 minutes into the cook, it was smoking, well a lot. I wasn’t to concerned…yet. The neighbor peeked over the fence and said, “Well at least it smells good.” Real encouraging. As the time progressed more smoke was coming out of the vent hole and there wasn’t a mosquito for a 20 mile radius. I did have a couple of flare ups, but I closed the lid and they went out. I was in my glory reliving my childhood memories until….the fire chopper flew over. It was getting dark and I was getting towards the end of the cook. I figured if the chopper lands in the front yard, I better save the boys in red a few drumsticks.

I let the chicken rest for about 10 minutes before we ate. When I took a bite into the first piece, it was as if I was on my bike again. Apparently I wasn’t a threat to the fire department as they just flew over and made a 180 degree turn and headed back the way they came. Maybe next time I’ll hold a up a drumstick from the front lawn and tell em’ “Thanks for everything”.

Tonight I’m getting ready to fire up the grill and make some Roadside Chicken. Maybe I can get the police department over tonight for a grill out. Have a good one…

Spencer

What a great story.
But to be frank, I missed some pictures to look at.
icon_smile.gif

Yes, next time I will have to have my camera ready when the events unfold. I suppose I should anyway being a professional photographer!

try cooking your chicken on the WSM with a hot fire and NO water pan. If roadside...I like to dunk the pieces in the sauce about every 10 minutes until done 45 mins to an hour.
Cornell, I usually brine and then spatchcock. I leave the skin side down for 10-15 mins and then flip, basting all over, flip again when thigh measures 165 or so, flip and
baste, repeat until breast temp hits about 170. we like a well done bird.
In both cases, I then put the grate right on top of the charcoal for 2-3 mins,per side.
Finest kind.

Here is the Original Cornell Recipe.

But i use:

My Cornell marinade/baste:

1 egg
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon table salt
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning(i use weber:Sweet&tangy)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
(this is good for 2-4 whole chickens)

Here's mine...well, Cook's Country's. Not traditional since there is no egg in the sauce and they added Dijon to flavor and thicken it. But we love it!

Brine chicken for an hour or two in 2 quarts water, 3-1/2 cups cider vinegar, and 1/4 cup K salt (I adjust the volume of brine according to how much chicken I'm cooking, same ratios - the recipe is for two 4 pounders)

Take chicken out of brine after at most 2 hours, dry off with a paper towel, season with a mixture of 1 T ground poultry seasoning, 2 teaspoons K salt, and 2 teaspoons pepper (again, adjusting how much I use based on the amount of chicken. I usually double the batch and leave it in a shaker like you'd find in a pizza joint for Parmesan, so I don't have to make it every time), then back in the fridge uncovered to dry out the skin some.

Put on the grill at first without sauce then about half way through the cook start basting and turning every so often with an emulsion of 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 3 T Dijon mustard, 1 T chopped fresh sage leaves, 1 T chopped fresh rosemary and 1/2 cup olive oil.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...591052016#2591052016
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...571021906#3571021906
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...141087326#3141087326

I hooked up with a girl from your hometown at the Nascar race in Watkins Glen, NY. She was pushing cigarette swaps and coupons for Winston at the campgrounds.

That, coincidentally, was where I first tasted and saw people making cornell chicken on their grills. (and at the stands along the highway up there).
I went back a few Augusts in a row for the chick, and the chicken. I don't really remember which I liked more!
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spencer P:
OK, since Geir wanted to see a photo, I took one. This is of the Roadside Chicken that I did tonight. It's a little "done" on places on the outside as I will make a note of this next time.

Enjoy...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/m...t-72157629506505527/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice chicken. I've tried roadside Chicken as well, but with my problems with flareups I would have needed a fire department standing by just in case.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spencer P:
Yes, next time I will have to have my camera ready when the events unfold. I suppose I should anyway being a professional photographer! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very nice picture Spencer Great looking Chicken Don't forget to post in the Photo Section.

My son just got accepted to Cornell so I think I better get up to speed on this recipe.
icon_smile.gif

I live the original recipe that outlines how to build the stone firepit and how to arrange the tables and also the mass-quantity version of the ingredients. What a beautiful piece of history. I guess they didn't have trailer mounted pits to roll up on the quad with their suburbans.

i lived on a small farm near ithica with my uncle who was a proffesor at cornell for one year when i was 11. was just about the best memories of my life.

Made a batch of Cornell Chicken over the weekend. I really enjoyed it. It's right up there with Roadside Chicken.

I grew up in Orleans County and Chicken BBQ was the main attrationon Thursday nights during Fair Week. It's actually a staple of summer food at various fairs, festivals, car shows, etc. I never knew it as Cornell Chicken. It was simply Chicken BBQ. You could get a sauce/marinade that was close (Chiavetta's) up there, so I never researched the recipe.

Only once I moved to Texas did I actualy research things and find the Cornell recipe. I really need to make it again one of these days.

Over the weekend my wife picked up a cut-up whole chicken and Tuesday I was trying to figure out what to do with it...

...yup, Cornell Chicken.

Even though the original recipe calls for it to be cooked on an uncovered grill or grate I've found that in a Weber kettle it turns out just as good when the lid's used, and the flareup reduction's a nice bonus.

Back