Corned Beef Question

billy sparrows

Sorry I just posted this under beef recipes and realized it is not a recipe. Its not really a BBQ question either so please forgive me if its in the wrong place again, but regardless here is my question (again)......

I have two flats (a 3.5# and 1.5#) that I have been 'corning' for about 9 days. I plan on serving corn beef and swiss on rye with some slaw for st. paddy's day on wednesday. I have a deli style slicer and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the cooking process. Should I cook the day before and refridgerate for cold slicing on st. paddy's? Or should I cook on wednesday, let the hot meat rest for an hour or two and slice on wednesday? Braise vs. a stovetop cook or even slow cooker? If anyone has any experience with this I would appreciate it.

Regardless of the outcome, I'm coming over for dinner. My wife makes killer freckle bread (soda bread with raisins). I'll bring it.
icon_wink.gif

Gary,
You're much more confident in my abilities than I am....I'm looking for nice deli style slices of corned beef and I'm not sure of the best cooking process and/or resting process to obtain them.

I may have over emphasized 'deli style'. I just want the beef to be recognizable slices vs being shredded because its been over cooked (like over smoked brisket). I agree with you on the slices though.

I just made it for St Patty's Day party yesterday.
I cooked it the night before, let it cool down on a wire rack then wrapped it tight in saran wrap, and into the frig.
The next day it sliced perfectly, no shredding and nice uniform slices.
I would recommend cooking it the day before.

michele,

how did you cook it.? Boil, braise or other? How long, etc? Or did you just go until fork tender like a smoked brisket? Any help is appreciated.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would recommend cooking it the day before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed.

Michele's plan was to cook in a Dutch oven. Is that what you did, Michelle? Glad it worked out well for you.

Thanks for the reference to the prior post. I did a cursory check for a similar post and didn't see one. I think I'll cook the day before, slice the next day and reheat in the oven with a bit of reserved liquid. It sounds much easier that way.

Yes, I cooked in the dutch oven, I cooled down the 'broth' exactly how Kevin told me to do it.
Everything turned out GREAT!
I also, warmed everything separately (as Kevin said) PERFECT!
In fact, my guests thought it was the best corned beef they ever had!

Thanks again Kevin, that is the only way I'll be doing it from now on, and by the way, I am now on the hook for it every year! I guess that's the best compliment!
icon_smile.gif

Bill, sorry for the delay, I was out at my daughter's dance class. I cooked it in the broth for about 4.5 hrs. I was cooking 2 of them in the same pot. Once fork tender I pulled them out and put the potatoes in, then the cabbage.
Good luck, it will turn out great!

Thanks for the update. I think I'll follow in your footsteps. I'm not doing the veg with it because I'm serving sandwhiches with slaw, but the technique and cooking method is helpful. Thanks again.

Back