Corned Beef Pastami? Stop fooling yourself! Make the real thing!

I think sous vide very well might be the ticket for phase two cooking. The time would be lengthy but not unreasonable. 180 would be the temp of choice. It would be hard to overccok.

so, since you can't monitor the meat temp, I assume you just keep the water temp at around 180 and bathe the vac-sealed meat in it for about 2 hours or so?

Keeping a steady 180 could be hard on my stove. I may just get the water up to around 200, then pour the water in a crock pot, which simmers close to 180 on the low setting. Then I can just let the meat sit in it for a while...

so... could you so something like this with normal brisket? a 2-phased cook? If so, at what temp would you take the brisket to the first time? maybe 180, then cool and cool sous vide at 190-ish? not sure what benefit there'd be... just curious.

Actually, you can monitor the meat temp--you need one of the thin Thermoworks models that are wired. But that's not here nor there.

Yes, 180 but 2 hours would not likely be long enough. Well, maybe, it would, it is hard to to say exactly because I would depend on how long it sat in the 160s in phase 1. The good thing is that at 180 you can go for many hours and not worry about overcooking. You could do it in the 160s, truth be told; the big deal is time in the rendering zone, not bringing it up to a particular internal and stopping.

I don't know about a Crockpot. They don't seem to maintain temps well but I don't really use them so don't know. You'd be a better judge of that.

YOu can bring water to a boil and then add the chilled vac'd meat which will then bring down the temp. Then it is a matter of keeping the heat low by setting the burner low and keeping the pot uncovered (or partially covered). This depends on your stove, the size pot you use, and the size of the meat. A flame tamer can be useful for gas or electric (a CI griddle can work as a tamer) if your burners don't go low. It takes a little experimenting but it's not like cooking something sous vide grom the get-go where you might me looking at many hours at 133 degrees or something. Shoot for 180, go for a while (2,3, 4 hours) pulling the bag out every once in a while and feeling the texture of the meast through the bag as best you can. My thought is 4-6 hours but I'm not sure. Water evaporation needs to be watched, of course.

Yes, you could do it with 'normal' brisket. I'd be inclined to go to 165-170, cool quick, chill, vac then sous vide at 165-170 again. 180 would be less time, which is why I suggest it above; 165-170 and you're probably looking at--my guess--10 hours or better but maybe not. I do duck leg quarters from the raw at 180 for 10-12 hours depending on the type of duck.

Back