"Corned Beef" Birsket vs. Regular brisket

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Sam's Club had both for virtually the same price and being I did not need 16lbs of brisket I contemplated buying the pre-packaged "corned beef" style brisket until the butcher said that taste would be different and it would not smoke well due to the lack of thick fat layer. Anyone ever do the "corned beef" bricket and if so any diference? Of course smoked sans seasoning packet enclosed.

My impression of the "corned beef briskets" offered at retail is that they are brisket flats that have been already cured and are ready to be cooked/boiled using the supplied seasoning packet, and are not suitable for typical BBQed brisket. The term "corned" refers to the corn-like kernels of coarse salt traditionally used to cure the brisket meat (think beef ham).

Thanks, I assumed that all the "seasoning" was in that little packet. Thanks for the info.

I've smoked several Sam's corned beef briskets in the past and imo they turn out very tasty. A search for "corned beef" will bring up several threads that discuss internal meat temps and techniques.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Grill With Bill:
[qb] I believe that smoked corned beef is Pastrami.

Bill [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Sort of, except-- besides being smoke-cooked-- pastrami has more coriander, and a nice fresh-ground black pepper crust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back